Sounder/battery question

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by DANZIG, Oct 28, 2006.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Here is what I would like to do..
    I have an old Lowrance flasher unit that I would like to install on my little 10 ft Jonboat and I am working on how best to power it. Leaning toward using a motorcycle battery to power it and maybe running lights but I am wondering how well it may stand up to repeated discharges.
    Perhaps I would be better off going with a battery from an electric scooter?
    Weight and size are considerations.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Danzig if it was me & yer not set up for trolling , gonna have to buy something; I'd spend just a few extra dollars for one of the emergency jump start units at one of the marts. Their power source is a 7.5 amp hr gel cell and most have an accessory 12v outlet, or a built in air comp or a light etc. and come with a charger. Then you got yerself a multipurpose unit. I've got one that has a 6 & 12 volt outlet, florescent light, emergency flashing light, and I've used it twice to jump start vehicles.
    My 2 cents.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    A 7.5 amp-hour gel cell will work fine for powering your sonar unit. You can buy them at a battery supply (Interstate Batteries, etc.) or at any hobby shop. To recharge it, get a simple 12v wall-wart charger at the hobby shop.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks!
    I have been poking around and I am thinking the 7.5 gel is the way to go. The whole Jump starter is a bit to large for my application due to the small size and weight capacity of my craft.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Mine is the same size a igloo six packer but 4 inches narrower; and one lb.
    heavier than the gel cell alone.....what kind of jump starters were ya looking at???

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I Measured mine. It's 11.5 inches high which includes the molded carry
    handle, 9.75 inches wide , and 4.25 inches deep at it's deepest width.
    Hate to see exposed wiring on a boat. If yer sparking ya shouldn't be
    arching....LOL...and you could put a fused auto male plug on yer unit.
    :smile2:

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I can see your point about exposed wiring and due to the extremely small size of my craft, some sort of attached conduit will be necessary. I am exploring the idea of using copper tubing for the conduit though that flexible plastic will probably win out due to the weight savings.

Small and light are the watchwords for this project. I recently traded for a Johnson 3hp(from oars) which will further add to my already, with two people and gear, over-load.
    Every ounce saved will not only be helpful, it could quite literally be life saving.

In my research I have noticed that some portable fish finders are using 8 AA niCads. That would save me some weight but I might loose some of the savings and much of the convenience by having to go with the D cell clamp on lights.

Any suggestions/advice are considered and sincerely appreciated!

8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Kayak fishermen solved this problem years ago. The small gell cell is the way to go, but put it in an appropriate sized tupperware container...may have to punch holes for the wires...use a piece of pool noodle to keep it from moving around, put your excess wiring in the same box or do as I've done, roll it up and run electrical tape around the excess.

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Like Jerry's idea. Them Kayak guys are like santa, can't beleive he gets all that stuff in there...I'd stay away from anything that conducts...use plastic. An I really like the auto power ports and plugs. It's easy to unhook and you have more applications. Say ya want to power up a spotlight to get home in the dark, or charge up the cell phone. Put a power port where ya want it, flex tubing holds yer wiring to the batt box. Yer in business. I got the small boat thing going on too. You can even pick up the small solar panel already set up for an auto power port. Put a little trickle on the gel cell when ya aren't sounding.....tight lines to ya.

11. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I have a buddy that make his unit mobile. He mounted the screen on top of an ammo can, mounted his transducer on a light piece of metal and bought a 12 volt deer feeder battery at Tractor Supply. sealed, small and light weight and made to recharge. He says it will last 8 hrs. of continuous use. He just clamps the transducer on the boat. Stores everything in the box when not in use. Battery cost $17.95.

Jim

12. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Better deal than the 7.5 amp hr gel cell. Bought a new unit today to replace the one in my jumpstart/power pack and it was $35 at interstate, and $25 at batteries plus. Got 3 yrs. out of the last one, and 4 yrs out of the one before that.....I bought the cheaper one today, I think they are same thing. Don't know what the hobby shop would want. I was constrained by the fact I needed exact dimensions for my factory power pack case. But you don't have to worry about that. The newer power packs have gone to a 8.5 amp hr gel cell. Just a little bigger, but more power. I like the ammo can idea. Watertight seal...pop a hole and put in a power port, ya still got a multipurpose unit. Cool. Ya just made a power pack for half the cost. Even almost match the color of your boat.
    :big_smile:

13. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Mmmm..Deer feeder battery, I had not even considered that, but looking it up it just may be the ticket! Much cheaper and a 5 amp is only 5 lbs. I am figuring that the sounder is going to pull around 300ma and in most cases will not be run anyways near all day so that should leave enough for a "get home" run of the nav lights in the evening. ( if I have this figured wrong please let me know)

Thanks a bunch for all the great ideas! :smile2: