Sound wave impact on fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Steve W, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Steve W

Steve W New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've heard that sound travels better in water than it does in air. That why submarine can hear each other at such long distances. I was wondering what people thought about the impact of a radio playing in an aluminum boat might have on fishing. It seems like the aluminum would transfer the sound waves pretty efficiently into the water. Let's assume that the fish don't have a preference for country,rock,R&B, or sports. I'm curious about the affect of the sound waves themselves. Trains on railroad bridges don't seem to have all that much of an affect on the bite if they are already biteing.

2. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I used to think that the radio had a bit effect on the bite so I would always keep it really low and try not to make much noise. This was when I first got the boat in august and started reading on the BOC. Since I started learning a lot about fishing on here, I started getting more and more bites and fish landed. I now turn the radio at whatever and I still get bites. The night I caught my biggest blue, 56# I had the radio on, threw the anchors in and it didnt effect the bite at all. I was fishing in only 10' of water also.

3. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    We play the radio most of the time we are fishing haven't really noticed if the fishing is good or bad, just enjoy the radio, the depthfinders make more noise than the radio and really believe that those alone would drown out any radio sound with there clicking noise.............Doc

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    My first and most firm belief about noise and fishing is that short, loud, and close noises are much more of a problem than constant distant noises.

If you are playing a radio in a boat and you are 100 yards from the fish you are after, they will not pay you one bit of attention. However, if you are drop an anchor in your aluminum boat and your lines are under the boat, you can bet that they fish will need a while to recover from that.

I think fish are only concerned about what is in their strike zone, and what I mean by that is they are concerned about the area directly around them where danger can come from.

When I troll or drift in shallow water, say 7-8 feet, I run my lines out really far behind the boat because I feel sure that a passing boat 7-8 overhead will cause fish to move. When I am deeper water I am not as likely to run the lines as far back because the deeper water offers them more protection and safety.

Fish are basic animals as far as thought, and I don't think they have the ability to associated noise from a radio with a fsiherman, and I am sure they do not associate it with any water predator. Water noise is something that has more of an effect on them, but in many cases I have had instant bites when a fish I am landing starts splashing at the boat. It is almost as if the fish that are staged near the bait think, "I better grab this before it gets scared off."

So, to answer your question, I think as long as your lines are not directly under the boat, and the noise if kept to a minimum and constant, you will be fine.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Good question Steve. You are correct, sound waves do travel greater distances in water. However, your radios sound waves are not transfered from the air to the water column so play your favorite tunes and have a blast. Now, direct noises transfered to your boat directly will travel into the water column. Walking heavily, slamming a compartment door, dropping your rod, etc is transfered to the water through your boats hull. This can, and does, have a profound effect on fish, especially old wise big ones. I can honestly say I make a concerted effort to keep boat noise to an absolute minimum, and it has a made a difference in my fishing. Of course, the radio theory is only true if you are using normal boat speakers and dont have a base box the size of a volkswagon in your boat. In this case, the sound waves of base would be transfered. There has been lots of studies on your very question and it has been proven that radios and conversation do not transfer from the air to the water. Great Question though. Good Luck Fishin.

6. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I do a lot of ice fishing and I use an underwater camera to watch the bite. It is amazing what the underwater camera can teach you about fish and fish behavior. When we are panfishing in 15' of water or less, a small amount of noise on the ice above will spook fish. I have watched as a school of crappie approach and if someone walks by on the ice, the noise will spook the school. I don't know if the effect is the same in the summer, I normally listen to the ballgame at night while I catfish.

7. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I catch alot of fish under bridges with trucks and trains going overhead. I think the train auctually causes the fish to bite.

8. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :rock-big: lol the fish are down there rocking out lol but ya havent u ever yelled at blue gill by the water they all run away beets me

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The night I caught one of my biggest blue cats 52#s, I was about 7-8 yards from shore in about 10 feet of water and I think I made more noise than I ever had, the lines were casted anywhere from 7- 40 yds from the boat and the cat bit the closest line to the boat. I dont think it makes a difference.