Sound on the lake

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Gomer, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    has anyone noticed if playing a radio in the boat cuts down hits. I'm not talking about so loud you can hear it 2-4 miles across the lake but just loud enough to hear in the boat?
    just something to make you go hummmmm when the fish aren't wanting to corrporate. :doubt:

2. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    I've thought about it. I use a radio in my boat and i usually catch fish. I don't think it matters. My grandpa always told us to be quiet in the boat, but I think that was so he didn't have to listen to us.:smile2::wink:

3. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I've never noticed any differents. I use a radio when I go out in a boat and thought the same thing. I tested it a few times. I waited till I found a good spot where I was tearin up some channel cats and then turned the radio on, nothing changed, still kept tearin them up.

4. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I think it's vibration more than noise that bother them (IMHO). If I have a radio going, I make sure it is separated from the hull of the boat by a cushion or something.
    However===it has been scientifically proven that catfish are attracted to ol' time rock n' roll. Bet that get's something started.

5. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    only when i play ZZ Top they run for cover, but when im playin Skynyrd i always seem to tear em up. hmmmm, odd... :smile2:

6. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    You must be fishin' for the young uns'. "SHARP DRESSED MAN" might intimidate them.

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i dont think that the radio will affect them to much. unless you have 6000 dollars worth of stereo equipment in the boat (like some i have seen around here). i think they are more affected by the banging around of gear in the boat, like dropped tackle boxes and people (especially 6yo boys) dropping stuff in the boat. if you keep your radio just loud enough to hear it but not overly loud i am sure you will be fine.

8. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    According to Bill Dance the water surface deflects over 99% of the sound waves. I think you should be ok. Who knows if they do hear it they might like it.

9. mskittyfish

mskittyfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    One time when we went catfishin on "Gilligans Island" ( a point we found thats owned by the water district) we were packin up for the day and when I slammed the trunk on my hatchback, I was lookin out over the lake cuz the sunset was so beautiful that night, and I just happened to notice that when I slammed my trunk, it made a ton of shad jump all at the same time at the edge of the water near the lilly pads. My car was parked on a hill about 25 yards from bank. I kinda laughed and wondered if they had jumped because of the loud noise. So I opened my trunk and slammed it again...and sure enough, the shad all jumped in unison again. I started laughing and when my fishin buddies got up to my car I showed them my neat lil trick. They were all laughing. So now thats my new obsession...you wanna see if there are any shad in the lake? I slam my trunk and watch to see if the shad are in...LOL. Im not certain though if it was truly the noise or moreso, the vibration that may have traveled through the ground. But in any case, if the shad are in there, it will work 100% of the time!