Sound like a good hole??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by motodragon2003, Sep 5, 2006.

1. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ok I gave up on the local lakes so I tried fishing on the Wabash river here in indiana over the weekend. It was my first real attempt at river fishing. I dropped my pontoon in the water and proceeded to work downstream along the bank. I stopped at every wood pile I saw and caught 2 channels and 1 flat within 30 mins of each other. After that it kinda died out but it was broad daylight so...my fault hehe.

However,

I worked downstream and found a spot with a faster than average current and noticed on the depth finder what appeared to be a tree that was vertical and seemed to be about 5 feet tall in 10 feet of water....

Caddy corner from this tree was a wood pile.......

No my dilemma.....I would think behind that tree or in the wood pile would be a great holding spot for flats on the prowl. Simply because they can stay out of the fast current and eat whatever floats by. (correct me if I'm wrong here).

My problem was that I don't think my bait was even getting close to bottom because of the current.........I plan on going back early morning saturday to the same spot and try again......

Any suggestions?

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    More weight and no roll sinkers if you want the bait to hold on the bottom.

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    jerrys the man, he just said it all.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

This is good advice

5. jmfraz

jmfraz New Member

State:
    Houston, Texas
    Jerry nailed it on the head. Give it a try and let us know how ya did!! Good luck!!

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Like Teddy Roosevelt said, "Walk softly and use a bigger sinker" or something to that effect.

7. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Josh.... Jerry responded to you perfectly... There is nothing more to add....