SOSPENDERS Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jedimanhunter, Jul 31, 2008.

1. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I was happy with my 160.00 set of camo SOSPENDERS and I bragged about their comfort to all that read my post. Well it works 2 ways. I had an accidental discharge, I got mine wet and they deployed since they were set in auto-deploy.

I was impressed but I had to buy a recharge kit. I spent 20.00 on a recharge kit. The recharge kit came with a small plastic safety pin to keep the pull lever in the closed position. Well either I broke it during opening the kit or it was broken, either way i needed a new safety pin.

Of course you cant get one unless you buy the whole kit hense another 20.00 for a 2 cent pin. Well STUPID IDIOT ME for wanting to save spending another 20.00 for a 2 cent pin I emailed : sospenders@stearnsnet.com and told them my situation in an email #1 that was sent July 20, 2008 that i will copy and paste here:

" I learned that it does not take long for the auto vest to deploy. I have the camo 1220 series.It deployed when we took on a wave while anchored and it was lying in the floor of the boat. I was impressed with its efficency. "

"I purchased a rearm kit at Bass Pro, Garland Texas, The green pull lever safety pin was broken and they do not sell them. It is also about a 20.00 in fuel to go back over there. I do not need to return the whole thing as I already have it hooked up, i just need the green pin. Can I get one or some from you. Thanks for your reply."

On 07 29 2008 I sent the following email #2:

On 07202008 I emailed you to determine if a replacement green safety pin for the 1220 series was available as mine is broken. I never received a response. Thanks for your reply. Jeff Gore

Well they had the 29,the 30th and all day today to respond to my emails. What have I got for trying to get a little customer service from a company that sells expensive equipment. I got crap soup served to me. I gotta say I sat here typing this and i got ticked off even more.

All I can say is if you are entertaining the idea of buying a similar set I encourage you buy from another company as the SOSPENDERS company appears to only serve those that have not bought their products yet and once you do you are treated like an old shoe thrown in the back of the closet.

I can not stand sub-standard business practices or products and that is what you get with SOSPENDERS. Just when you think your safe by striving to " BUY AMERICAN " an objective that I do solomly swear to do every chance I get because i believe you get what you pay but this is not the case with SOSPENDERS. By the way todays email #3 read:

I guess it is asking too much to get a reply from you. All I ask is if a replacement part is available so i can continue to use your product. If this is the customer service I can expect from your company then i do not want to do business with you cash or otherwise.

I will be sure and let others know what they can expect from your company. I am glad I know how you back your product before I actually needed it. Keep your pin, i wont need it as I will go buy another unit from another company.

Now that I did what I told them i was going to do I will go tell someone else. Thanks for listening, good luck and remember BUYER BEWARE when you see SOSPENDERS.

Play the name game

So spenders we are going to take your money.

So spenders uh hummm, you want what..... HAHAHAH. We already got your money, get out of here,....... next.

We market our products well so spenders will buy our products that we don't service.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Last week there was a thread here about wearing life jackets and these were mentioned several times. I wanted, repeat wanted some. Guess i'll stick to regular life jackets.:sad2:

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Guess I have been lucky. I bought a pair of them 7 years ago. And I have not until this day had one of them deploy on there own. Now I rearm them each year. And wear them in floods, And still have not had one to go off. My uncle had his go off. But he hung the pull cord and that is the reason It went off. We were fishing together. And I looked back and could see the cord was hung up. and was trying get him to be still. But he jerked and off it went.
    There's 50 or so people I know that bought them after seeing mine or wearing one of them in the boat with me. And there's has never went off.
    It has to get water up in it to set them off.
    I think I have a extra safety pin. If I can find it I will mail you one.But you have an extra one for the manual one? Or should.
    Pete.

Ps the smaller rearming kits from wal-mart has the same washer with the pill in it. But just not the big CO2 cartridge . I buy them when they mark them down in the fall.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jeff,I think you may be jumpin the gun on this,I know sometimes it may take at least 7-10 days in some cases for a reply from a major MFG.

5. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    223Reload
    I thought of that however I believe my time from was reasonable. They had 9 working days for 1 reply, 3 days on second reply, they had the weekend to think about it.

If I am wrong in anyway I will concede to being wrong but currently I have no reason to change my position and I feel confident the company will contine to support my position as well. When and If I hear from them I will post what they do. That is only fair to the company but I am not going to solicit a response again.

I am not usually one to spout off, I think before I act and I think before I speak. Who likes to apologize, I don't but I am big enough to do so if what i did or said commands one. I don't see myself apologizing or recanting much here. Maybe the name game portion but thats about it.

All I know is I have a 160.00 piece of equipment that is out of service and I got notta from the sole source supplier on a requst for assistance.

ShilohRed, Thanks for your offer and suggestion, I will look at what Walmart has to offer. Glad your vest is meeting my expectations, Mine probably would to if I had some spare pins. Its a great product but Its a current turnoff with the customer service.

In my line of work my response time is counted in minutes or seconds. Maybe thats why I expected better than I got.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I would try calling them, it seems email is about the least reliable way to get customer service.

Sospenders

The Coleman Company, Inc.
    1100 Stearns Drive
    Sauk Rapids, Minnesota 56379

Phone: (320) 252-1642
    or Toll Free 1-800-328-3208
    Fax: (320) 252-4425

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Nothing beats a phone number.
    I have had very little success using company emails unless I had the email to a specific salesman or somebody in the direct chain of command.

The general email is BS in most cases. Something for a office clerk to do when not busy. Well, in my experience, if they aren't busy they are outside smoking a cigarette.:smile2:

Then of course there is the possibility that your email is circulating among CEO's in preperation for the next board meeting.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    That's what I was thinking Gary.
    If I need a response to anything I rarely put my trust in email. I make a call and always try to get a name.J.M.H.O...W

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We just got a bunch of the Mustang vests for work. They have a different automatic control (hydrostatic) that is not moisture sensitive, so they are not supposed to deploy accidentally.

As I said, we just got them. I'll let you know how they work out over time.

10. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Customer service if you can call it that sucks in todays business world. I usually send e-mails, until I get the 2nd standard e-mail......"we are so sorry you have problems with our product........blah blah blah...."

Then I get on the phone. I immediately request to talk to a manager. I have fullfilled my obligation to of trying to get it resolved by e-mail, so I take it to the next level. I figure it like this if customer service is not doing their job by reponding to e-mails, someone in the company needs to be aware. If more people did this I think we would have less trouble in that area. I worked for a major company and I have fielded many of those irate customer calls and believe me, I have solved some issues, that the customer had in that department.

I did a post on Customer Service a few weeks back, kind of interesting.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sorry, but if it takes a board meeting of the top brass to decide whether or not to replace a two cent pin, then their customer support definitely needs an overhaul.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

Jerry, that was meant as a joke.:smile2:

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Did you ever get a pin for your SOS?
    I have an extra if you still need it? And will mail you one.
    Pete

14. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    ShilohRed

The SOSPENDERS company is continuing to support my opinion of them as I have not received anything from them yet. I centainly thank you for the offer. I may get one from you. I am going to cave in and call the company and express my discontent and advise them of my experience. With some of us here feeling I may not be giving a large company enough time to respond I was sitting back logging time before I called. If I cant get one by telephone I will take yoou up on that. I will let you know. Thanks for the offer and I will let you know what happens.

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Just let me know, I have it laying here.
    Pete