Sorry Guys For Letting You Know The Rest Of The Cat Story

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by channelcat_tracker, Jun 5, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    im sorry for telling you guys that story. but that cat DID NOT belong to anyone considering i only have 3 neighbors in a 4 square mile plot. so i asked and called them about it and they all said " shoot it or else starve it" also they said that it tried to bite my neighbors young child when it approached the cat and they told me it tried to bite it. it looked like a decent cat but all my cats came from the wild and then became house cats. but this cat had: sharp claws, red strained eyes, foaming mouth (rabies or thirsty), and patches of fur was missing. so i took the most humane meathod to the animal and put a bullet in the pistle, handed it to my father who saw how bad of shape the cat was and put it out of its misery! im sorry for offending you guys but im just letting this be one of the many cases of cat populations booming out in the country. ive seen em die off in large numbers by starving and disease. so if you think one cat dying INSTANTLY instead of a long death then i think you need to realize the problem crisis!

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Tony,
    Its not wise to post something on a subject you think may be illegal, as I am sure you know by now. When you do post, give the facts straight. Facts left out can change the way something is perceived in drastic ways, some good, some bad. In your original post you said "One nice looking cat" and now you say the cat had patches of fur missing, was foaming at the mouth, and your dad saw what bad shape it was in so he put it out of misery. People are going to question that conflict in details.

I still say, learn your laws, hunt/trap responsibly, and do it right. That is all that is needed.

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Tony, i missed the original post, but shooting pests, strays, and varmints is simply a fact of life in many parts of the country - i do it myself. even being forced to shoot "pets" of neighbors that will not keep them on their own property. i hate to kill animals needlessly, but in my area it is illegal to harm the sorry people that allow their animals to run wild....

my yard and shop lot is for my watch dogs and myself, my wife, and my grandchildren to enjoy - not the area varmints and pests......

i have told all my neighbors several times about the result of them allowing their animals to roam my yard - i keep my dogs up, and i expect them to do the same. if they don't take responsibility for them, i will - it is their choice what the end result is...

i never shoot an animal on the first visit - unless it is a possum or coon:smile2:

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Barb is right, your first story was nothing like your last story, you said you shot a nice looking cat then you said your dad shot it cause it may have had rabies..you should make sure you tell the truth in your post, cause thats the right thing to do, plus if you change your story up, people will question your credibility..I know people make mistakes, but i think you should check your local laws so you dont get your self in a jam.

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Phil. I am surprised. Go to jail. You are breaking the law. You must turn yourself in.
    At the very least please don't use the BOC to teach young people to break the law and murder animals.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    lol, Danny - no, i break no laws....the sheriff told me to shoot them if i had to.
    i DO NOT advocate breaking the law...as i noted, i did not read the original post, so maybe i shouldn't have jumped in so soon.....but if you get over-run with animals then sometimes something has to be done - in my case, the only resolution is, unfortunately, taking matters into my own hands.

a very unpleasant eventuality when i have to do it, but it is not ok for people to dump strays and unwanted pets in your front yard - what would you do in that situation, Danny?

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Phil didnt break the law, it's the fault of the owners that can't/don't keep their pets in theri home/on their OWN property.

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would do what the sheriff said to do.
    Maybe I'm wrong, I often am But I'm am very surprised it is legal to kill cats and dogs in any state.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Man, I think I am in trouble:eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: !!!

I hit a cat the other day while pullin a 6000gallon tanker on Hwy60 while in the middle of nowhere. I hope the cops don't get me, it was his fault though, he didn't use the crosswalk and I had the right of way, LOL!!!

10. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I do the same as Phil, My neighbors know that if they don't keep their dogs where they belong, and they keep coming to my house they will not have to worry about them much longer. Don't get me wrong I like dog's, I've spent $3200.00 on an underground fence to keep my dogs where they belong. We live on 20 acres and have 4 dogs if I can keep up with mine then they can do the same. With that being said, Phil I hope they put us in the same cell block, but not the same cell. Your to accident prone!:lol:

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    hey rusty - not to worry...i have a good friend that has a trailer mounted compressor....he'll bring a couple of pneumatic tools to break us out...it's cool - i taught him how to use them:lol:

12. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Thank god I'll be locked up in a different state.:tounge_out:

13. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I ruffled alot of feathers with my post on the original thread and for that I am sorry. But Here in Louisiana I have, can, and will shoot dogs and cats that need shooting. People have a really neat version of reality that says, "If I take fluffy to the country and set him free he will be adopted my Laura Ingles Wilder (or some other nice country folk) and live happily ever after." Reality says fluffy will either starve to death or a pack of ferrel dogs that are not afraid of humans and can and do real damage.

Out at out Hunting Lease there was a pack of dogs that were dangerous and something had to be done. I had a dangerous dog in my yard last year. He was starved and looked sick and I had to do what I had to do. That is life in the burbs!

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I continue to be amazed at what people will proclaim about themselfs on a public forum. A public, family forum with young members. Oh well I guess I don't have to be a part of it. It has been some time and my memory is bad, that must be it, I'll read the board rules about posting again maybe I am in the wrong place.

15. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Fishman, I for one, value your input and feel that you are valued member of our great commuinity! Some people are quicker to exercise there rights then others. I dont even hunt anymore, let alone kill stray annimals. I suppose if I live somewhere rural, which I hope, pray, to do someday, as a Last Resort, kill an animal if it endangered my property. However, as sure as there is a God, I will have exhausted every other means! That is who I am and I feel good about it! Even though I may be at the top of the food chain, I feel all life is sacred! I am not judgeing anyone else, as it is not my place!

16. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i don't get it, Danny. we are talking about real world here. it has been stated that those of us that kill animals have no alternative. would you adopt every stray that someone has dumped in your yard?

if i kept every cat and dog that has come up, i would have a hundred plus by now. you really think that is a practical option? the county has no provision for picking up animals like the city does. i live outside of city limits. the city pound will not take these animals. the county said "shoot them if you have to".

most of the time scaring them works....i rarely have to kill one, but if necessary i will.

you really think the youngsters on this board will be traumatized by this little slice of reality? i bet they hear worse things from their peers than this, don't you? i didn't see any post where the act of killing an animal was being relished.

perhaps if more people realized what was happening to their dumped pets, as catsmith1 stated, they would be more likely to take care of them, or better yet, not acquire them in the first place.

as Phillip said, this is an act of last resort. i am sorry you have been put off by this my friend, but it seems like you may not understand what some of us are put through by people that have little personal responsibility.

just my 2 cents

17. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Robert, The only thing in your original post that I found upsetting was the mention of poisoning with antifreeze. That is just an extremely horrible way for any animal to die.
    By all means, a clean quick shot is far better than poisoning, starvation, or death by disease.
    I find it a true shame its the animal's that have to suffer as a result of humans too danged sorry to be responsible. I can't tell you the times through the years that I honestly wished it was the person responsible that I was euthanizing instead of the animal...

18. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    wow now i know that this community has secrets to what lies beyond our thoughts. i was to make this become a small normal thread that was to say to everyone : hey we got too many dang rodents out here and they are endangering other species. now lets get out their and open up a season on em!. thats what im tryin to say. and now this has turned into a fight between whats humane and not. i am staying neutral in this fight!

19. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I didn't know there was anywhere that didn't have a place that takes of these problems, maybe I'm wrong, if I'm wrong I'm sorry. Heck I live in a county that has one stoplight in the entire county and it is new but we have an animal control program and it is a no kill policy,

I had a dog killed by a neighbor. He shot my dog when it was in my yard, he said he didn't know I lived there and that he doesn't like dogs so he shoots them. He went to jail but my dog was dead.

I understand there could be a reason to dispatch an animal but I also know they were here long before man and dogs are the only animal that made a choice to love and respect man and want to live with us.

I think it is silly that the earth has been here with animals living on it for million of years and along comes man with our big brain and we decided to own it, some people even think they own wild life. Maybe I'm stupid but sometimes I am ashamed to be human.

I have no futher post on the subject. It just causes strife.

20. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Danny, Brother, there is no strife here. That is the beauty of living in a free country. We do not have to agree. But we can still get along and do important things like fish!:eek:oooh:

I am not trying to traumatize anyone. I live in a world that is firmly based in reality. I Have no choice about the matter. When I am in Iraq the reality is that you could die at any time. ANY time. You deal with it and get over it and press on. That is reality.

When I am home, the reality is that the person that dumps a dog or cat in the country is KILLING that animal. They may not see it happen but over the next few weeks the pampered pooch is going to die of starvetion if it is not eaten by something else. I would much rather be shot in the head than starve. I would rather die a two or four hour death than starve. General rule of thumb is a person can live about three weeks without food. I have no carnal knowledge of how long it takes a dog. I would much rather get it over with than have it waste away.

Circle of Life.

Cattledogz,
    I was not condoning the antifreeze just stating that it is an option. Probably not the best decision but I make bad ones all the time. I am sorry if I offended you. I was going to go back to that thread and appoligize but it was gone. Sorry. For the record it has been years since I had to do that and that was to get rid of a pack of ferrel dogs that were killing everything they could find.