Sores on fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by schuetz, Jun 13, 2007.

1. schuetz

schuetz New Member

State:
    kansas
    i live in el dorado. went out to a farm watershed last weekend. caught about 20 cats. kept 5, went to fillet them, and they had some open sores on them. on their insides, they had a thick milky membrane that looked like a throw net growing on everything. i have never seen anything like it. anyone know what it is and what the sores are?

2. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Matt, had a similar experience on Milford Lake a couple of weeks ago. One of the Cats I caught (Bluecat) had quite a few white "pimples" on it. I broke one of them open with a knife, it had a "vaseline" like substance in it. None of the other fish I caught that day had anything on it like that. Still waiting to find out from the fish biologist what it might be.

3. schuetz

schuetz New Member

State:
    kansas
    be sure to let me know if you would. one of the strangest things i've seen

4. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Sure will, wish I'd of taken some pics, I will next time. Which hopefully there won't be one!

5. skeetfever

skeetfever New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Was fishing the Kaw last Friday. Caught 1 little channel cat. It had 2 little leech looking things around its mouth. They were 3/16 inch long. Anyone seen this before.

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Ted, they're pretty common on the Catfish here in Milford Lake. When I take the fish out of the basket when we're drifting, or off of the stringer when shore fishing, they're usually gone(?)

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Matt, the biologist said to bring in the next fish I catch with the "pimples". He couldn't think of or find anything like that. Just have to wait and see if another one shows up, all the fish we've caught lately have been "clean" except for the little "leech" like things Ted mentioned.