Sooners IN

Discussion in 'Ersel's Gridiron Talk' started by South Grand Laker, Nov 30, 2008.

1. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well the big boys finally let us in after fighting like dogs all season to get the points from the bcs, but were in, we've got missouri this saturday which should not be a problem for the boys, then we shall possibly got on to play florida in the Big Game, should be a great one, looking for tickets now

2. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    gotta love the bcs:roll_eyes: texas should be there they beat ok , so even if you do win it all should you even have been there in the first place? thats why computers suck when it comes to football they have no common sense.

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    There's all this talk about Texas beating Oklahoma head to head. Yeah, but head to head Texas tech beat Texas. Soooo..... why would Texas be ranked ahead of tech? Because tech lost last?

I hate the bcs system. Hate it hate it hate it. Heck, we all hate it. Scrap it and give us an 8 game playoff and we'll find out who the best is the old fashioned way.:wink:

4. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    i agree in not liking the the bcs system either, but there's no way in hell i agree with texas being ranked before us, since we demolished tech, and pretty much OSU, when OSU barely lost to texas on there own field, and plus it's obvisous by just watching who's by far the better team playing on the field, who wants to see the crappier teams play, we want to see the 2 best team in the nation battle for the championship, which happens to be OU and Florida, so i think there finally gonna get it right this time

5. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    back to the last comment i meant i think they atleast at the very least got OU being over texas right, now that's a step up for them, to finaly get one thing right, i was almost 100% positive they were gonna screw that up, now as the rest of the teams it's hard to say if anythings right but i think its better this year the past, you can't really hold teams like, ball st, utah, and boise st in anykind of argument to jump anybody in the top 5 that's for sure

6. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Its as right as it can be given the situation of the 3-way tie. Heck if the Sooners lost then TT plays next Sat. It's ironic but OU's loss was to a better team than Texas' loss. All the sudden, Longhorn fans become Missouri fans this week.

7. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    OU is ahead of Texas because of this:

1. OU beat killed Tech who beat Texas.
    2. OU beat OSU by 20, Texas beat them by 4.
    3. OU beat Texas A&M by alot more than Texas did.
    4. OU played TCU and Cincy, which are both ranked, they didnt play rice and a weak Arkansas team.

Looks like OU and Bama

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Congrats to Osu but they still have to beat MO and FA hasn't beat Ala yet

9. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    HEY GUYS. Relax, take a few deep breathes. It is not the BCS's fault this time. It is the athlete directors of all the universities that make up the Big 12. They are the great, overpaid minds, which selected BCS placement in the tie breaking formula. Maybe it would have just been better to add up all the points a team scored, subtract all the points the team had scored on them, and rank them that way. You could do it for the season or for the division. Of course, that leads to running up the scores, which is not very sporting. LOL

11. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas

Keep in mind, this is coming from an OU fan.:big_smile:

How can ANYONE think this is the right way to rank the teams? You CAN NOT go by what OU did to Tech, that is not a fair representation of anything. Stoops knows the Tech offense as well as the Tech staff does. You give ANY coach with in intense knowledge of the other teams offense two weeks to teach this offense to his defense, and you are going to shut them down, if you have any athletes at all, Period.

What it boils down to is this, Texas beat OU head to head, on a neutral field.....what more is there to that?? If a Texas linebacker can hold on to an interception in the final seconds of the Texas v Tech game, this argument does not even happen.

OU has the best offense I have seen in YEARS, but they just gave up 41 points to OSU, they gave up 35 to KSU and 31 to KU a few weeks ago, as well as 28 to Texas A&M, all VERY weak offensive teams.

I am glad OU is where they are at, but at the same time, I can say it is not where they SHOULD be. The only way this can turn out good is for OU to drub MU, which SHOULD happen, and then Florida just squeak by Alabama in a really ugly win, and hope like heck Texas and OU end up number 1 and 2, then this could all be settled on the field, where it should be. :cool2:

12. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    What did Texas do to deserve to drop below Oklahoma? I agree it is all screwed up. I like Oklahoma way more than I do Texas. Actually I can't stand Texas. But here is my opinion. Texas was ranked ahead of them. Texas didn't do anything to deserve to fall below them. They won their games, that's all you can ask. You can't start looking at who beat who by more points. Texas beat A&M and Kansas by more then Oklahoma did. It doesn't mean anything. You can't blame the schedules, they are set so far in advance you won't know who is good and who isn't. Even Oklahoma's schedule is set all the way until 2015 right now. You shouldn't be able to jump someone like Oklahoma did. All they did was beat OSU, a team Texas already beat.

Would Oklahoma have jumped ahead of Texas if they had beat OSU before Texas did? Seriously, if Oklahoma had played OSU a month ago and beat them by the same score they did, and Texas beat OSU just this last Saturday by the same score they did, would Oklahoma have gone ahead of Texas? No way.

There are arguments for both sides, and sadly neither side is wrong. I do understand where OU fans are coming from. And their argument makes just as much sense as mine. The only way to fix this whole mess is with a playoff. It is ridiculous right now.

Also get rid of the big 12 north and south. Just make it the Big 12 and put the 2 best teams in the championship game.

13. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I guess you are congraulating OSU on losing? OU is playing MO. Saturday.

14. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I can't stand Texas, so I think it's great that OU moved ahead of 'em, I like hearing them cry about how they go screwed. Boomer Sooner.
    :big_smile:

15. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Actually Texas beat A&M by more then OU did.

16. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    it is obvious whos the better team, they played, the better team won! how can anyone say that ok should go before tx THEY PLAY EACH OTHER ON A NEUTRAL FIELD AND TEXAS WON, TEXAS WON, TEXAS WON. i could keep typing but it wont help theres only 2 words TEXAS WON. so if head to head play doesnt matter whats the point? if you win but it doent count why play? 2 teams with one loss each, one team has the head to head win, its that simple.

17. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    The Big 12 championship game should be OU-Texas. Missouri is a second-rate team with no business in a championship game. Eliminate the divisions and play for the title with no championship game, like the Big Ten and the PAC Ten. They have an advantage in that they don't have to go through a league playoff game.

18. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    osu had 2 weeks to prepare for OU on their HOME field...and they lost. stupid argument you have there. proved wrong immediately:smile2:

they gave up 41 to osu, thanks to some really great calls by the refs:confused2:

they beat osu ON THE ROAD by 20...a team texas beat AT HOME by 4...mack brown is the one that said home field is a HUGE advantage in the big 12 south.

osu has scored less than 30 twice this year. kansas has scored less than 30 3 times....................when texas beat OU, it was an UPSET! OU was the higher ranked team, which means they were the better team. they simply had a bad game. one loss in that fashion does not mean you aren't still a good team. if OU played texas today it would be more like the TT or osu score......

next time look up some stats before you start spouting nonsense:wink::smile2:

19. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There are a couple of factors for the reason Texas dropped below OU. First, Texas lost later in the season that OU. Take a look at Florida, they lost to an unranked team, early in the season. ESPN and the screwed up BCS put them right back in it. Second is the strenght of schedule. That is dropped Texas below Oklahoma.

I wish the Big 12 would just figure out that the playoff doesnt need to be a North against South team, and let Texas and OU slug it out again. I think the result would be a lot different this time.

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    No, what they need to do is remove the BCS from any tie breaking decision. The human side of the BCS is from sportscasters and coaches who are biased and/or ignorant. Each has their own agenda, and resolving a tie in the BIG 12 generally is not a part of it. And, it don't matter if OU is number 2, UT is number 3, and Tech is number 8. It is still a tie. The tie did not go away because Tech was rated lower... it is still there. They do need another step to determine the tie breaker, but most assuredly not anything related to the BCS.

And if the Big12 was to do away with the Divisions, who would play in the championship game this year? Unfortunately, it is still a tie. Missouri would be out, but then there is OU, UT and Tech. 11-1 is 11-1 no matter where your at and head to head is out.