Sooner lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by beakus, Nov 7, 2006.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    has anybody been to sooner lately to see if the cats are going?

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Hey John,

I don't think we have any active members that fish Sooner Lake on any regular basis, so you might not get any responses. I usually fish it at least once a year but I haven't been out there yet this year. It's a great bluecat lake and over the last couple of years there's been quite a few 70 to 80 pound plus blue cats taken out of Sooner. I'd fish it more often but I have too many other spots that are a little closer drive. It's a definate lake to catch a trophy blue and if there not biting there's tons of sandies and hybrids in there. Good luck.

3. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    thanks chris,i have a map of the lake but i dont know how up to date it is.it looks like on the map that you have to stay on the eastern part of the lake for fishing is this true?i,ve been thinking of going over but i dont really have an idea of what bait to try,theres not much selection in the cooler seasons seems like.any more pointers for a newbee

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    John, shad, fresh, live or cut would be your best bet. If you use cut, the head section should work fairly well cut just behind the gills. Also use bluegills, cut or live.

5. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Will you be fishing from shore or by boat? Fishing the hot water outlet on Sooner during the winter can be very productive. Dec thru Feb are the best months. The water will be very cold in the lake but the outlet is pumping hot water into the lake and attracts lots of fish of all species. Fishing by boat is productive but no access bouy's limit are far you can go. The best access is by foot which gets you a lot closer but it's a pretty good hike to get there. There's a well worn path that many make all year round but winter is always the best. Many people will bring a cart to carry all their gear in to the outlet. If fishing by boat it's just like any other lake fish next to creek and river channels, wind blown points and shores and wherever there's good structure.

6. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Attached is a map of Sooner. I marked where you can park and walk in on the West side of the lake it's over a 1/4 mile walk but well worth the walk. There's a line marking where the bouy's for boat's can't pass and highlighted where the shore fisherman get to the good area's. There's a creek that I marked that runs from the Northeast portion of the lake to the Southwest part of the lake. Catfish are here and off the points and structure on the eastern portion of the lake. There's lots of submerged timber on the far southern portion of the lake and there a small highway that run right by it. I had a friend take a couple of 30 to 40 pounders in that timber right off the highway by boat but still could be fished from shore also.

Attached Files: