Sooner lake info

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by shadmaster, Jun 5, 2009.

1. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Been hearing some good things about Sooner lake for a long time. So I'm going to plan a trip. I would like to know if there is a good population of shad in the lake. If so, what part of the lake would I most likely find some? I'm going to be fishing for the Blue cat and really feel handicapped without shad.

2. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Most of the guides bring 'em in from somewhere else, if that tells you anything.

3. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Sooner now has a new Blue Cat record saw it posted in the paper a couple days ago 66.9 lbs.
    loop

4. hog223

hog223 New Member

State:
    southern logan county ok
    yes it does have a new blue cat record, it's in my freezer ! Bill, i've been fishing sooner lake steady for close to 10 years now. i used to fish strictly for hybrids but turned to cats this year. shad are far few & hard to find at that lake. i've seen people net shad in the warm water side during the winter but i've had no luck at all. sooner does have a lot of carp which when used as cut bait work well. that's what i caught the monster on. there is a bait shop ( petes place ) on 177 south of the lake that sells minnows. i baught some extra large ones there thursday & caught blues & channels with them. they are $7.50 a dozen though. i always take raw shrimp with & do real good with them to. i fished at 6 different spots there thursday & caught fish at each stop. if you go i recamend the inlet channel on the north end of the dam. i did good by the orange floats there. fish were in 10 to 18 feet of water. if you dont get a fish in 20 minutes it's time to move. good luck.

5. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Thanks, good to know. Guess I'll try to bring some bait with me.