Sooner Lake Blue Catfish Record Weighed 68 pounds - See Catfish Picture

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by hog223, Apr 14, 2009.

1. hog223

hog223 New Member

State:
    southern logan county ok
    we went to sooner lake today & were slaughtering the fish when the hog got hooked a 72 pound blue. we were fishing from the boat & let me tell you it was hell to get it in. we took it straight to fishermans cove & weighed it @ 72 lbs. they called the wildlife dept who came out an hour later a weighed it on their scale i think it was 68 lbs. it's a lake record & will be on the wildlife web sight soon. will attach a pic.

Attached Files:

2. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    congats on the catch to bad it looks like its dead and ur gettin ready to clean it

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Congrats on the record Blue Catfish!

Been cool if you would have let him go after the weigh in, been some good PR work for us.

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I'll second that!!! :sad2:

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Super Cool, Paul! Welcome to the BOC. Sounds as though you may be able to offer some good information to others. :smile2:

6. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Very nice fish.

7. hog223

hog223 New Member

State:
    southern logan county ok
    thanks guys, that was my first biggie & i wanted to bring him home & put some meat in the freezer & that i did. i will say if there is a next time i'll put him back. it's amazing what a little cut carp will catch.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Damn nice fish, cannot fathom why you'd want to kill it. Still a nice fish. Wish you nothing but turtles and gar.

9. hog223

hog223 New Member

State:
    southern logan county ok
    am i the only one left who fishes for food ? or is it keep the small ones throw the big ones back !

10. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    You'll get alot of that from some, don't worry they are just trying to promote the CPR method of catch photo release...But to answer your question, yes keep the small ones and put the over 10lbers back to get bigger and pass on their genes....nothing wrong w/pics, then let em go if you feel like it, again, your catch your decision to put him in the freezer, people are just so quick to judge others w/out caring to find out all the facts or reason why someone does something, if you were within your regs, dont worry about it, although it has calmed down alot on this board i must say, people should just suggest to others instead of the negative comments, maybe some have never caught anything big or have never heard of CPR...........btw welcome to the board i see you just joined in March, hope you stay longer.............

11. hog223

hog223 New Member

State:
    southern logan county ok
    well thanks for that reply, i was a little suprised since here in oklahoma most catfishermen i know keep & eat. my question is what will it taste like ? but not to worry my dad is 86 years old & lived thru the depression & i can assure you nothing goes to waste with him around. his comment was he thinks he can have it eaten in 6 months. i'm just glad to have gotten my first biggie but i'll be honest little ones are a lot easier to fillet ! & thanks to all the posts on boc. it's on here where i saw the idea of using cut carp for bait & that's what did it.

12. Bullheaded

Bullheaded New Member

State:
    Norman Ok
    Very nice fish! congrats!

13. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    good lookin fish and speaking from experince that is not the only big blue in sooner and another thing big fish are better eating catch and release in the grease

14. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Very nice fish and I cant slam you for keeping it.I dont like the big ones for eating and years ago before I got digital camera I might have kept it for bragging rights But now only keep what I want to eat.I catch so many under 10 lbs I get plenty.I would have a big decision to make if I ever caught a state record because I cant think of way to keep one alive til its certified.

15. hog223

hog223 New Member

State:
    southern logan county ok
    i'll be sure to let ya know how it taste & for the record it's now on the wildlife department websight as as a sooner lake record 66.9 pounds. it'll be tough to beat that one but i'm sure sooner has bigger. as far as i'm concerned i got my fish of a lifetime! by the way i got it with a 9' meathunter rod & a junky shakesspear spinning reel with 30 lb. test. that was the heaviest setup i had with me, if he'd hit one of my other poles i'd been screwed.

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Paul thanks for sharing the pic of one nice fish with us. Congrats. Enjoyed.

17. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Nice looking blue there....congrats on a very nice blue cat. Sooner has some monsters in there.

18. rich crabtree

rich crabtree New Member

State:
    ohio
    well one thing for sure brother,when u came into the B O C, you busted the door down :worship: not only was that a heck of a blue that you landed, and can replay in your mind over and over, but you are also in the history books for that lake. enjoy your meal my friend:0a16:

19. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Another monster lost :(

20. hog223

hog223 New Member

State:
    southern logan county ok
    like heck, another monster lost. just drive up my driveway his skeleton is nailed to the tree for all to see. if i could get more people to fish sooner for catfish we'd probably see some more monsters ! since sooner doesn't allow jug lines or trot lines coupled by the fact it doesn't have a lot of accessable shoreline the taking of catfish there has to be minimal to say the least. but if you have a boat & get to the right spot they're there for the taking.