Son's first Flathead

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Flatheadhunter33, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well, this weekend was the craziest one in long time for me. Lot's of up and downs...Thursday afternoon/night I was in the local hospital E.R. with chest pains. Docs took every test known to man and stuck me more times than I can remember. Heart is okay but I had some inflamation in left lung that caused me to get the chest pain. Got prescribed some really good meds that put me on my butt all day and night Friday. Wife says that I slept for close to 30 hrs:eek:oooh:! I sure felt like it! When I got up on Saturday afternoon, my buddy calls me up to go out on his pontoon. Chest pain or not, I was going! Took my wife and kids out with us and stayed out the whole night. Bugs killed us:eek:oooh:! Citronella candles and bug spray must have tasted like candy to them...Im still scratchin! School nurse called my wife yesterday to tell her my daughter had chicken pox!:smile2:

Anyhow, the best part was when my 12 yr. old son/other fishing buddy got his first ever flattie. He handled it like a pro (what do you expect? his dad is Flatheadhunter!:smile2:). Got it on board and weighed it next morning at a little over 7 pounds! He could barely talk he was so excited! Proud moment for me of course! All in all we hooked 5 flatties and a channel that was as mean as a flathead! Biggets one was a little over 11 lbs caught by my buddy Chris. I got one at around 4:00 am. Dozed off and woke up to see my rod going crazy...We released all the flatties except the one I caught and the channel cat. It was a really good outting and I forgot all about my visit to the ER:wink:.

Attached Files:

2. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    More pics...

Attached Files:

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrats on a great family outing and fishing milestone for your son. I hope that your chest pains are nothing serious and that you get to feeling better soon.

BTW it sound like you need to invest in a Thermacell or two to keep those bugs away!

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats to you and your son. Good to hear your OK.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

1. Glad you are alright!

2. Give your boy a pat on the back for me.

3. You guys fishing in little rivers?

6. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Outstanding :))

7. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Congrats on the fish guys. It is good to see you all having fun out there in the desert.

8. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    A few things I forgot to mention. While we were getting on the water, we spotted five channel cats that had their bellies slit open floating next to the dock:angry:....also while we were fishing that night, another nice sized channel floated by us in the current. Dont know how it died though.

Also, the flathead that I "butchered" (seems I forgot how to fillet since I CPR so many fish now:roll_eyes:) had a nice sized crawdad in it's belly. Ive never even seen a crawdad in our area!

9. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    reat pic !!!! thankx's for share'n , congrats too you and your son .

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats to you and your son. Enjoyed the pics..Thanks.

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    great story great pictures and tell your boy congrats and he is on his way to be a great catman

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    good times with the family.....congratulations on the nice fish. Thats one happy looking young man there.:big_smile:

13. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Glad to see someone doing what this is all about. Catching fish and Having Fun!

14. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    The areas of the river that we fished were small tributaries that come off the main channels. If you follow them they go back quite a ways. Some areas are really shallow though. We got beached a few times.

15. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Dameon, thats the best feeling when you can get your family involved and actually have a good time. Congats to your son, I am proud of him what a good catch. You should be proud and I am glad you are ok. :wink:

16. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Glad everything is ok with you. Congrats to you son on the flattie.

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Congrats to all you folks on a great outing. Get yourself a Thermacell and the bugs won't be a problem. Man, that's some pretty country you guys are in! I love the desert!
    Bill in SC

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Sorry to hear about the up's and downs, and congrats on your son's first Flathead.

19. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Sounds like a good time fishing. Good luck on the next trip.

20. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    :cool2: Pic's, Thanks