Sonar Unit Upgrade....What Would YOU Buy???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by WylieCat, Jan 5, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am looking to upgrade my sonar unit from an Eagle 500C to something with more power and more detail. My current model has around 1500 watts of power and is around 240x320 in resolution.

Here are two I am considering:
    LCX-37C
    LCX-27C

I would love to hear some input from folks with these units or comparable units.

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Dieter,
    I have the eagle seachamp 2000-comparable to lowrance x-27. I am sure it doesnt have all the features of lowrance but you are welcome to try out the 7" screen. One feature that I wish it had is fuel management capabilities but not available on eagle.
    I have the 110 adapter to try it out indoors if you want to give it a workout. You can put some waypoints on it also-especially them avatar spots, lol.
    As HD units hits all the stores the standard models should get discounted but not sure about the large screen models.
    I bought my unit for half price at an online catalog store as a year end model close out

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I too am looking to upgrade, from my H-Bird 565. My sources tell me 4000 watts and 480 x 480 pixel with a dual freq. transducer. I was considering a Lowrance X136-DF @ $450.00, but after more research I am looking into a Lowrance X515c-DF @ $550.00. Both are 4000 watts peak to peak, and 480 x 480 pixel count, with dual freq. transducers, but the X515c-DF is color, has more options, is expandable, and upgradeable, at only about $100.00 more than the X136-DF. Hope this helps. WRB

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Dieter, get one of the new HD's and let us know if they are worth the money, lots of money :eek:oooh:.

5. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    i am ready for lowrance and hummingbird to offer software for a laptop with transducer and gps antenna. I think the gps is already available through garmin for laptops.
    That way you can have any size screen you want. Alright Lowrance we want laptop capability.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have about narrowed it down to the LCX-27. I looked at the bigger units, but they take up a little too much space. While the screen size would be nice, I am not sure if I will like that much console space being gobbled up.

The LCX-27 has a lot of power, good resolution, and a good screen size.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Deiter I have been on the hunt myself. I know I want a bigger screen Lowrance at least 7" but I am with Bigbird I am hoping to find 1 of the older model units on sale. I might still spring for the HD unit.:wink:

8. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
  9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Looks like that and a laptop would do the trick:wink:

10. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    i have the lcx 27 c and love it. i just wish i would have spent the money and got the 10 screen.

11. drifter106

drifter106 Member

State:
    kansas
    Considering an upgrade, probably late spring or summer. Tossing between the HDS from Lowrance and the SI from Humminbird. Lowrance is strong in the 2D arena as well as having a capable GPS system. Humminbird has no competition in the SI arena but is known to have problems with their GPS... "slow response" time. Their 2d graphics is a step or 2 behind Lowrance but it provides an adequate solution. The 7" HDS appears to be the sweet spot...but a step up to the 8" gives you more pixels (better resolution). If you stop and think about it, the 8" provides the same amount of resolution as the 10 but does it covering less surface area. Resulting in a "technically" higher degree of detail. With like so many things, you get what you pay for. Wish somebody would put something together that would give you the best of both worlds. Unless I see some type of revelation in the next month or 2 I am all in for at least a 7" HDS from Lowrance.

12. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    this is foiren tome .help dont under stand