Sonar Scare Fish??

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Circlehook Jester, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey all! I was talking to a good fishing buddy of mine who fishes bass and crappie tournaments a lot last night. He pokes a little fun at me because I use sonar to find "catfish" and catfish hideouts. Anyway, he did bring up a point I wanted to ask all of you. Do you think when you locate catfish holes and lairs, should you then turn the sonar off so it does not scare the fish. Or better yet, do you think sonar even bothers fish? I never really thought about it, but I guess it could happen. Also, would it happen more in lakes/resevoirs or the rivers?

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I have no idea, but I wouldnt be suprised one bit if they can detect it. Not sure if it makes a difference on whether or not they bite. I can see it having more of an effect on an anchored boat than one that is drifting.
    May be good practice to turn it off when still fishin. Definately wouldnt hurt anything.

3. Circlehook Jester

State:
    Kansas
    I called another friend who fishes the river for big blues and he said during the colder months, when the blue cat school up, he likes to fish right on top of them and said sonar will turn them off like a light switch. Pretty interesting, but how does he really know that??!!!:big_smile:

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Hard to tell with any certainty.
    If I wasnt getting any bites with it on and I turned it off and started catchin them, you can bet money I would turn it off again.:wink::smile2:
    I can see it makin a difference with an anchored boat. Maybe thats why I havent been catchin fish?:tounge_out::smile2:

5. Circlehook Jester

State:
    Kansas
    I truly think I am going to start turning mine off. There might be something to this. I will just find the holes, anchor and off it goes. Can't hurt anything and might just save you some battery power. :wink:

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I think they can hear the sonar at close range, the big question is does it affect the bite. I don't know the answer, but I like to turn it off when I anchor just in case.

7. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I think we have all witnessed first hand some trophy class catfish being caught while actively painting targets with Sonar.

Your top place finishers in tournaments will not only run there High Wattage Sonar Units, but do so continually while drifting across the catfish being caught.

Many of these higher wattage units are running $2300 to $3200. You got them, you use them.

There are many BOC members that will watch the catfish rise off the bottom and take the bait.

If you are anchored up, by all means, shut the unit down.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  8. Circlehook Jester

State:
    Kansas
    That would be cool to watch a fish take your bait. I just have a run of the mill Hummingbird which is good for finding deep water ledges and structure. But, oh well, maybe someday.:big_smile:

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Thad, You can see it on most sonars, my cheapie Hummingbird 535 shows it just as well as my more expensive unit. It works best when drifting in 25+ feet of water though, which isn't something you get to do much of on the small lakes around here.

10. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I shut mine off out of habit when anchored. I don't hear the Humminbird I have now, but the Lowrance before that I could hear the clicking from the transducer while sitting in place. I figure if I could hear it, the fish could too. But if I'm a-movin, it's a-showin.

11. DOUBLEL

DOUBLEL New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY KS
    I know in the bass circles they say it effects bass. Turn it on and hold your hand over it. I have never proven that it matters. After a while I get tired of it marking fish and me not catching them and turn it off.

12. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I never turn mine off. Whether I am anchored or not. One reason is the SI. You can see fish if they swim through the beam while you are anchored. A lot of times drifting I can say a rod will slam down within the next minute by seeing the fish on the sonar. Most of the time I am right. I have missed nice fish before by trying to mark a good one I see. He ends up slamming a rod while I am making a waypoint. That has happened more than once.

13. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I shut mine off when anchored up, just to save the battery, its on if Im
    drifting. My fish finder lies to me I think, it shows lots of fish that I can't seem to catch :wink:

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I don't think it matters. If you have a pretty good selection of bass catching grub in your box you'll understand why.

15. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    There's only one way to find out. We have to send JJ to the bottom and turn the FF off and on. #1 see if he can hear it, #2 see if the fish react.

16. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i dont think it matters i use my vexilar while ice fishing and watch the fish come to my bait,never had a problem of the getting scared away

17. Circlehook Jester

State:
    Kansas
    I think that is a good idea. I bet JJ would be all for it.:smile2:

18. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I hear all kinds of noise in my alum NorthRiver boat.... the power pro lines hums with my garphite rods.... and you can really hear the hum of the 2 cycles of hertz comming from the a depth finder.... I turn it off when on the anchor....

bayrunner Ray

19. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    as long as the water aint as cold as it was when i wend down to get Gus's gar :smile2:

20. Circlehook Jester

State:
    Kansas
    JJ, if you went after a gar, you are tougher than I thought! Those fish scare me like a little school boy!! :smile2::confused2::crazy: