SONAR RECCOMENDATION

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by riverrat85, Jan 13, 2010.

1. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    Well duck season is officially over and its time to start getting ready to chase some big cats. Ripped the transducer off the boat from backing into some ice again this year so i figure ill just change it out completely. i am currently running just a hummingbird 565c series. Nothing fancy but gets the job done. anyone have any reccomendations on a new fish finder? thanks

2. Quincycatman1

Quincycatman1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    All lowrance fishfinders are great. I use a x35 and it shows everything. But the side image lowrance is unreal! You can see in murky water strait to the bottom. And the fish are visible too. Especially schools of bait. Il try to go with the cheaper x35 till i can get the side image. Check it out though!

3. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got the Lowrance HDS and I love it. Can't go wrong with the new structure scan. It has downscan that Hummingbird doesn't

4. Stonybr549

Stonybr549 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good thread!
    Ive been wondering if there was a fishfinder that actually detected fish in a river. I currently have a cheap hummingbird 161 on my boat and have never seen it display a fish no matter how I set the settings. I have even had the same issues in big lakes. I guess you get what you pay for!
    I dont know much about fishfinders. I have no clue what side imaging, down imaging, structure imaging or any of that other stuff is and I would be afraid I couldnt operate something very fancy.
    If anyone would care to explain some of these things I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  5. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    Stoney I suggest you get on lowrance and humminbirds web sites and look them over. You can find video on google that shows them in operation. I have a bird 787c2I now replaced by I think a 788. Anyway I really like it. It will show fish arches quite well. I even like the fish ID which on cheaper models is just a joke but on this it puts the symbol with depth on top of the arch so you see both. Not complicated just turn it on set some defaults to suit you 1st time and take off. Side image is a different critter and has a learning curve.
    I still want high pixel count and good target separation. You pretty much get what you pay for spend a little more money it is worth it.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Whatever you decide, I'd go with a color unit that is gps equipped. The fish finder gps unit is THE most important fishin' tool next to the boat and rods and reels. I really like Eagle/Lowrance brand. Just a personal preference.

Bill in SC

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro

8. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Definately get the nicest one you can or you will wish you had. Color and gps are very important.

9. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Like the Eagle/Lowrance also...

I use a basic FishMark 320, think it's on sale right now at Cabela's. The 480 is even better. Eagle is just budget priced line made by Lowrance.

Side imaging units will likely come down in the price the next year or two, those are sweet!

shawn