sonar/gps ?

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by eightball, May 1, 2008.

1. eightball

eightball New Member

State:
    tejas
    do any of these units function similar to a "TomTom" ?
    the few emulators i have looked at seem to indicate not. they give distance and bearing, but not specific driving instructions, exit number, etc.........

thx in advance from a new member.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    There's not a lot of exits on the lake...

3. eightball

eightball New Member

State:
    tejas
    oh, i did not realize that mr. t. thanks for your help

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The Lowrance XOG is a multipurpose GPS for car, boat, or portable use. I'm not aware of any Sonar / GPS combo that doubles as a car navigation system though.

5. eightball

eightball New Member

State:
    tejas
    GaryF, that is what i was looking for. Thanks for the response.
    Some of the combo units advertising gives the impression that they can work like the automobile nav systems.

6. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Its just maps, if you can put in chips you can prob do both, when I first moved to NC I used my car gps on the boat to make sure I didnt get lost. It worked fine. the outline of the lake was there it just didnt give me depths

Just dont try to "Route" to it....that will tear up your boat:smile2:

7. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    greetings,

i don't think that any sonar gps has voice command or voice prompt to double as a vehicle and boat unit. all of the gps/sonar boat units have a bunch of wires too so it would be very inconvenient.
    i know it would be really nice to have one portable unit to do everything and work everywhere but there is no such thing yet and probably not going to happen due to the sonar units needing wires to connect to the sonar sending unit /speed and temp modules.

i had to make a compromise because i use gps on a motorcycle, boat and truck. sonar just for boat so i got a non gps sonar and a portable garmin with a bunch of different ram mounts for the different vehicles. the cool thing is that garmin has lake maps and all sorts of fishing stuff like a barometer, best fishing times and solunar charts so i loaded that up in my unit so when i'm out it works well. the maps on the garmin have depth points of the lake, structure, weedbeds etc. really good stuff. the bad thing is that the smaller lakes you don't get this information. it's ok though because you can still mark spots like on a gps/sonar unit.

I like my gps bunches as well as my sonar which is one of the coolest toys i ever bought myself but in retrospect i think i'm going to bite the bullet and get a sonar/gps combo with chart plotting. and while i'm at it i might as well get the side imaging dealie which is so super trick and revolutionary.
    l regards,
    ma.d.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I did the same thing last year, and the car GPS did a fine job for simple trail finding. It didn't do things like waypoints. I was also extra careful to keep it dry though, as it isn't as weatherproof as a unit made for the boat.

9. While the usual is to get your sonar and gps in the same unit.
    There are other ways to achieve this.

For instance: If you happen to have a sonar only unit, you might not with to replace it (just now) with a sonar-gps, since you have then bought 2 sonars.

Fugawi and Ozi Explorer are softwares that will run a marine map on a PDA palmtop with GPS function.
    They allow you to scan a paper map, and add the GPS coordinates onto it later so that you can make your own maps of places where none are available.

DrDepth is annother software that does this, but it also can take the depth data down a cable from your sonar (only) unit, and then add the GPS coordinate ad make a map, adding all the new new depths as you pass over these areas.
    So each trip your map gets better and the gaps get filled.

Now the same PDA (with GPS) can also run the TomTom type mobile road trip GPS software that gives directions, plots best road routes, saves places and so on ... the stuff you want while driving round in the automobile.

So you can get a car GPS that only does cars, or a marine sonar-GPS that does lakes, or you can use a PDA-GPS to do both. But it will need 2 softwares, one for each job.

Here is mine in Ozi-Explorer mode on the water [​IMG]

10. That is my own self made map of the reservoir made from paper maps dated before the dam was built and the water covered over the interesting bits and hid them from view. There is more about how I did it here : http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/floattubeireland/making_fishing_maps.html
    And another nice source is here: http://www.hightechfishing.com/futuristicmaps.html

The downloadable demo video on www.drdepth.se shows what is possible.

By the way ... apart from the ready made maps that come with the sonar-gps units, don't forget they are waterproof. A compromise dual solution, while useful isn't proof against rain, etc.