sonar/gps

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BUCK, Mar 3, 2008.

1. BUCK

BUCK Guest

whats a good sonar/gps $400.00 to $500.00 range?

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I would go with a Lowrance 525c but it will run you about $100 dollars more than that. Check out Eagle they are made by Lowrance and I think the same model might fall into your money line.

3. turkeyman

turkeyman New Member

State:
    South Carolina, Swansea
    I don't think I can help you much. All the units I have been looking at have been $700-$800. All I have now is a $100 Eagle Cuda. It is good for depth and contours, but not so good at showing fish. Along the same subject, I was wandering which was considered better a hummingbird or Lowrance and why.

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have a Humminbird 767 with GPS and wish I would have spent a $200 more dollars and get a Great color unit instead of a good BW unit. THe biggest difference between a color and a BW is th BW tends to have more screen resolutiuon(pixels) but the color unit shows structure and fish with much more clarity. I say if you can spend alittle more and get the better unit. Also if you get a GPS unit they will tell you it comes with all the mapping software you will ever need and that is not true get a lake master chart so you will have all the contour changes in 1ft intervals.

5. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I recently purchased a lowrance lms 522c igps for 589.00, and it is a very good unit

6. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I use the lowrance 522 c igps unit also and it is a nice color unit. It will cost you about 100 bucks more but well worth the price. Its nice to be able to use the different mapping cards available for this unit. The new fishing hotspots pro east card is finally available (covers both SC and GA) and shows good detail.

7. BUCK

BUCK Guest

i have to canvis top on my boat will thatgps singal go thru that . the lms 522c igps. has builtin gps and waas antenna.will that be ok or do i need the one with external antenna? does the speed work off of the gps. or paddle wheel?. sorry to be asking all these ? i want to get what i want . thanks

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mark, the canvas top should not interfere at all. If you go with the internal, try not to mount the unit too close to anything that might cause interference, such as another depth finder, vhf radio antenna, etc. Otherwise you shouldn't have any problem.
    The speed is read from the satellite system, has nothing to do with the paddle wheel at all; in fact I've never installed any of the ones I had.:big_smile:

9. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    you can get gps ground speed and a water speed for the paddle wheel if you want to. They will not always be the same. Interesting at times to see how fast water is moving by your boat even though you are setting still in relation to land,
    My gps works though vinyl curtains on boat.

10. hammertime

hammertime New Member

State:
    Ga.
    I thank Lowrance is the best. The color is better because you can see it better. Gps makes all the differance in the world for fishing depth. contours.

11. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I would go with a Lowrance GPS/Sonar combo with the external antenna. That way you have more options when it comes to mounting and interferrence.