Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think I can help you much. All the units I have been looking at have been $700-$800. All I have now is a $100 Eagle Cuda. It is good for depth and contours, but not so good at showing fish. Along the same subject, I was wandering which was considered better a hummingbird or Lowrance and why.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I have a Humminbird 767 with GPS and wish I would have spent a $200 more dollars and get a Great color unit instead of a good BW unit. THe biggest difference between a color and a BW is th BW tends to have more screen resolutiuon(pixels) but the color unit shows structure and fish with much more clarity. I say if you can spend alittle more and get the better unit. Also if you get a GPS unit they will tell you it comes with all the mapping software you will ever need and that is not true get a lake master chart so you will have all the contour changes in 1ft intervals.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I use the lowrance 522 c igps unit also and it is a nice color unit. It will cost you about 100 bucks more but well worth the price. Its nice to be able to use the different mapping cards available for this unit. The new fishing hotspots pro east card is finally available (covers both SC and GA) and shows good detail.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have to canvis top on my boat will thatgps singal go thru that . the lms 522c igps. has builtin gps and waas antenna.will that be ok or do i need the one with external antenna? does the speed work off of the gps. or paddle wheel?. sorry to be asking all these ? i want to get what i want . thanks

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
i have to canvis top on my boat will thatgps singal go thru that . the lms 522c igps. has builtin gps and waas antenna.will that be ok or do i need the one with external antenna? does the speed work off of the gps. or paddle wheel?. sorry to be asking all these ? i want to get what i want . thanks
Mark, the canvas top should not interfere at all. If you go with the internal, try not to mount the unit too close to anything that might cause interference, such as another depth finder, vhf radio antenna, etc. Otherwise you shouldn't have any problem.
The speed is read from the satellite system, has nothing to do with the paddle wheel at all; in fact I've never installed any of the ones I had.:big_smile:

·
Registered
422 Posts
you can get gps ground speed and a water speed for the paddle wheel if you want to. They will not always be the same. Interesting at times to see how fast water is moving by your boat even though you are setting still in relation to land,
My gps works though vinyl curtains on boat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.