Sonar/GPS

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by FTL6, Jan 1, 2010.

1. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    Santa(me) said I could buy a new fish finder. So I want some thoughts on the best for the money sonar/gps for fishing the James.

2. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Check out the Eagle 640C !

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like mine, maps are great as I fish lots of different places and the GPS fiqures it out instantly.

Sonar and 3D work great and second winter using I trust what I am looking at. Cabelas has them on sale.

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    yeah the one Ken recommended. If money is no worry you cant go wrong with the Hummingbird 1197si or the Lowrance HDS10 they are both tops on the market with the Lowrance being a little better

5. Here-Fishy-Fishy

Here-Fishy-Fishy New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I have the 1197c/si works great for me and opens whole new world. If your not in a hurry watch ebay and craigs list, cost a lot so it pays to shop around. I bought mine off ebay about a year ago and saved like $900

6. mikesxpress

mikesxpress New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Personal Pref. thing with the GPS/depth units. I like the Lowrance units and the new HDS ones sure have some very high definition as well as detailed maps. Best to look them over at BPS or Cabela's and then get a day out with someone that has a unit installed that your interested in.
    Good luck!!

7. altcatmaster

altcatmaster New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Are any of those units or can yall recommend a unit that will save to a SD card or have a USB port where I could download the mapping of the different places i fish so I could study them when I'm not fishing?

8. aquaman9

aquaman9 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have been looking at the Lawrance HDS5 but do not know what maps to buy with it. Anything more money then that and I will not have any gas for the boat.

9. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    Which HDS-5 package are you looking at? I think one of the HDS 5 packages comes preloaded with maps.

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nothing in life is free. Maps depending on the level of detail, (I want the Platinum Navionics maps that display in 3D), cost $100-$300. You can buy used SD cards with the Map info on Ebay. But make sure they say it will work with your unit. Navionics makes maps for Humminbird and Lowrance and a bunch of others but theindividual SD Cards are brand specific.

11. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I found a HDS-5 on the Fayetteville NC craigslist for $400 today. Check it out, they have a phone number listed.
    I have a HDS-8 with structure scan on my boat and use the Navionics Gold chip that shows very detailed information. I was told to use my chip instead of getting the Insight USA due to detail displayed. Either way it was $200 for chip or $200 for the Insight USA maps.

12. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    That HDS-8 Mike has is nice, a definite must have when I get my boat one day lol

13. Madtom

Madtom New Member

State:
    virginia
    I bought a 1197c with the maps already installed last year for 2000 off of ebay. i think its 2999 if you go to basspro. I love it too. some spots I thought I was fishing the best way, and after making a couple of scans it be something totaly differnet. I have found some nice washout holes with it too. I do owe the Big Cat Quest to it.