Son Ben and the owl at the aquarium

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by JAinSC, Jun 4, 2007.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My wife worked this weekend, so for something to get us out of the house for a couple of hours on a rainy day, Ben and I went to the South Carolina Aquarium in Charleston (we have a family membership).

In the course of making our rounds we stopped at the cage of the Barred Owl. The calls of the Barred Owls back and forth to each other in the nighttime swamps are one of the things I love about flathead fishing. We were admiring the handsome bird when something occured to me. I looked at Ben and asked him, "Do you think he starts to call at sundown? That would be kind of cool to hear, here in the building." But then it occured to me "If he does, there are no other owls here to answer him. Would that make him lonely?"

Ben looked at me and said, "That's really sad." And added in a teasing way, "Dad, you're kind of bumming me out." It made me a bit sad, too. Makes me happy, though, to share those little moments that make me realize that Mary and I are raising a quality young man.

2. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Hey bro sounds like you have one HECK OF A LIL GUY THERE!!!!!!!!!!Maybe one of these days we will be able to get our LIL GUYS together.

3. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wonderful post, John... thank you.
    Your son has a tender heart and great parents to nurture him, I'd say... y'all are a blessing to each other.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    OK - just to make sure you all think Ben and I are total softies:

He and his Mom ran out to the store to pick up his new glasses and stuff last night. While they were out I was looking for something on a shelf and found a couple of old sets of photographs. Sooo, of course I had to look through them. A lot of them were baby and toddler pictures of Ben. I pulled out three of Ben with his Grampa (Mary's Dad) that I thought were especially good. Gramps died about 3 years ago. Mary and Ben are going up to NY to visit Grandma tomorrow, largely because her cancer has spread (prayers would be much appreciatred) and Mary wanted to see her and for her to see Ben ... Anyway, I thought Grandma would like to see the pics of her late husband with her grandson, although I'm sure they'll make her a bit sad. I gave the pics to Mary when she got home and she basically said, "Awww, look how cute he was. Look at his little semi-mullet hairdo!" Then she gave the pictures to Ben to look at.

Moments later Ben was in my arms with tears in his eyes.

Which, of course, got me going.

We really are a couple of softies.

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Great post...I have thousands of pics on the computer,but nothing beats holding actual photos and reminicing.