Sometimes you just have to Improvise and use a piece of nature!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by RIVER-RAT, Oct 27, 2007.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Well with all the talk about these hogs that keep gettin caught, I figured I'd try my hand at landing a new PB. Although I don't know what my personal best weighed (the 50 pound scale wasn't enough!), I just had to try! :cool2:

I launched the boat from downtown St Louis and headed to out to catch some bait. That didn't take long, goldeyes (of course:roll_eyes:), and a few asains.

Anchored in the first hole, fished for about 25 minutes without a bite. Decided to pull up anchor and well......................................................THE DAM THING WAS STUCK! :angry: I then tried to free it with the boat, well that worked, until I realized that the rope sure felt light, HEY!!!! SON OF B@#$%! That's right, lost it! On the first hole of all things too!! Well I wasn't about to let that stop me! :confused2:

I found the first exposed wing dyke and found me a good size ROCK That's right folks, a big 'ol rock! It's still in my boat! :smile2: I was a little curious about the weight of the rock.....so I weighed it. A hair shy of 50 lbs! After getting my new anchor in place, I decided to fish again. Second hole produced a fish that weighed 19 pounds and some change. That was the biggest cat of the night. We ended up landing a couple more but nothing impressive.

Did manage to get a monster asain and a drum! We didn't fish as long as I had wanted to, my buddy had to be off the river early :angry: so he could get a little shut eye before reporting to work at 5am. I suggested he just stay out all night and go straight to work from the river, but he didn't like that idea....weenie!

Here are some pics from the short night.

PS. For those of you thinking of trying a large rock for an anchor, they don't hold all that well in the fast current! HEHEHEHE

Attached Files:

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Here are a couple more pics.

Attached Files:

3. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Well the last time I talked to you your buddy had one on that sounded like it was headed upstream? Is there a story there?

That is a great looking anchor though! A little thing like no anchor wont slow down Ole Mr. Bill. I know you wouldnt find me pulling up a 50 lb rock out there, that sounds like no fun at all. Well glad to hear you guys got on some in the short time you were out there, congrats on the 19!

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Oh yeah! that was the drum!!!!!!!!!!! :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

5. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    LAMAO:smile2::smile2: I thought you guys had a biggen on the way it sounded. I wish I could go this weekend I think they are really starting to bite with this weather and rise in the river.

6. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I'm reminded of the old saying: When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. I am on my way to St. Charles. Got to get an update for the fall fishoff. A new pb would be really nice too.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    good luck bob. I'm heading out this morning as well, doing a little guide work today.

Rat you did check the regs about taking and using that rock for an anchor right? I would hate to see MrT come in here and slap Your wrist! LOL:wink:

8. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You are so right. All else fails improvise. Sometimes out on the river, you just have to do what you gotta do to get by. I lost the forward gears in the engine once but was fortunate enough to be up river. Roughly 17 miles. Luck sure was not running with us that day as we hung our only anchor. There was no way to get up river to pull it back wards so we ended up having to cut it off. Somehow, my partner managed to flip the boat using reverse to put us on shore to find a rock and use. We started out with around a 100 foot of rope and ended up with a rock and bout 40 feet of rope that was just about worthless in the current. It took a lesson like that to carry a back up anchor. I was never so happy to make it back in to the dock in all my life.

9. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Doing a little guide work today myself. Me and Kansasblucatter are going to be out looking for big bucks, and not the greenback kind.

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Kudos on your ingenuity!!

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Where theres a will, theres always a way.

12. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    MrT is busy on the phone with 7 Boston lawyers and 2 other guys of questional backgrounds. Since joining the BOC I have been studying his work, both on myself and a few others. I feel that I am now qualified to point out a few problems in your post.

First paragraph: A 50 lb. scale wieghs 50 lbs, USDA wieghts/measures pub. 98251 sec.5 page 98 paragraph 2, 2nd line.

Second paragraph: "a few asians". Don't they object when you tie them on a hook? See USIG imigration booklet #847563-93847 which deals directly with infractions like this. There is no established "daily limit", but according to USIG 39399485736%%$# It plainly states that you CANNOT be in possession of more than 3 with the same last name.

Third paragraph: LITTERING plain and simple. See: the dumpster behind Schnucks. Plain and simple - NO LITTERING
    2nd infraction, You were probably hung up on a chumming bag put in the river by our out of state friends from Detroit. (Jimmy Hoffa's recycling event) and this is a flagrant attempt to mutilate a corpse when you bombed it with a heavy device thrown overboard.

Fourth paragraph: You start off talking about exposing yourself to or on a dyke. TOOOOO kinky for me.

Fith paragraph: I don't even want to know what you did with the asian or the drum. #1 rule in fishing is QUIET. No drums. As for the asian, they are usually pretty quiet so that is OK. But you really shouldn't call him a monster, altho it brings to mind "what is a monster asian"? A Sumo wrestler? Serial killer? Loud and obnoxious? Imigration laws are not clear on this - so my interpretation of the law is If they have a green card, let em go.

Finally, the pics. No asians here, what's up with that? The picture with the Hippie was OK but the other guy was a little over the top. Was he as cold as he looks? Hasn't he ever heard about "Warner's warm-up". That is abuse of a fishing buddy - no wonder he wanted to go home early.