Sometimes, you just gotta kill 'em.

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by jlingle, Feb 28, 2007.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Well, me and my buddy Kent put out a hog trap Sunday evening. We baited with about 200 pounds of feed, and wired the trap open to allow the hogs to clean everything up inside and out of the trap. We got impatient and went to check the trap tonight, just to see if anything had found the feed yet. On the way in, we have to cross a wheatfield and we found a pretty decent sized boar hog out on the wheat. I was able to run him down across the wheat in the truck, and got between the hog and the brush. My buddy Kent bailed out and whacked this hog with a 12 guage shooting 3 1/2" 00 buck. The big ol' pig was DRT, and there was no tracking involved in this one. Well, it would've been fun to have caught him in the trap but we just couldn't resist blowing one away now and again. Killing pigs is just too much darn fun.

Anyway, back to the trap.... we went to look for sign around the trap after shooting this one, and you would not believe what the hogs had done. There were tracks inside our trap that would've dwarfed the hoof size of the hog we killed, and we are guessing him at 175-200lbs. We have got some big ol' pigs coming to the trap. So, we run to Kents in-laws house and get some corn and old wheat to come back and bait our trap and set it. We have to cross the river on foot to set the trap, so we carry all the feed across the river, along with our spotlight and necessary stuff to set the trap. As We get down and start to rig up our trigger mechanism, we hear pigs coming through the brush along the riverbank. We'd left the guns at the truck, up on the other side of the river!!! Poop. So we slip into the water and ease back to the other side. When we get there, we turn and look and the hogs don't want to come into the trap area because they're afraid of the buckets we left down there. We grab Kent's shotgun (my rifle was left at Kent's inlaws dammit!) and slip back down the embankment and into the water. The pigs scatter temporarily but slowly start easing back down towards the trap area. They could plainly hear us walking through the river, but they kept coming anyway. We got within about 30 yards of the river edge, and we started being able to make out the dark shapes of pigs moving around in the moonlight by the trap, about 50 yards away. We only had 3" shells left for the 12 guage, so this would be stretching its capabilities a little, unless we could get a head shot. Well, to make a long story short, we got impatient and I took too long of a shot at the hog and missed. Poop again. We were able to get everything baited up properly this time though, and without incident.

This is the first time we've ever had hogs actually come in on us while we were standing AT THE TRAP!! It was pretty nuts. If we don't end up with a hog tonight, there should be one in there tomorrow night for sure. I'll be sure to post pics.

Anyway, I'm gonna try now to post some pictures of the boar we killed tonight. I'll be the fat one with the massive bags under my eyes (recent nasal surgery), Kent is the skinny one.

Attached Files:

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Jerrod ya need to strap on a big bore pistol if they're getting in that close.
    Thanks fer sharing. Looks like some good eating in the works.
    :smile2:

3. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yum yum:big_smile: Thanks for sharing the stroy and the pics!

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Nice looking hog there !!!:smile2:

I do shoot'em sometimes but I much prefer the adrenaline rush of catching them by hand. It's not for everyone but I LOVE IT:big_smile:

5. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    I must be too "city"fied......I didn't know there were hogs running lose in Okla?

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    At least it's probably silly to you men.What do they taste like? Is it like domesticated Pork or is it a leaner version or fatter version? Or is it an all together different taste? When you have them processed do they turn out Hams bacon and sausage? Just curious.:embarassed:

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The Boars have always tasted strong to me,and I have heard and tried all of the methods to make it edible.The only way a Boar will taste good is capture him alive,worm and neuter him and feed him good feed for at least 6 weeks.This is called "Flushing them out".Hogs are like bears.They often taste like what they have been eating and they will eat some things that leave a nasty taste in their flesh.Most are poor and lean due to diet along with internal and external parasites such as Round worms,Hookworms,Tapeworms and Hog Lice and Ticks.At certain times of the year they can fatten up.This is usually late summer and fall when feed is plentiful.They normally get the poorest in late winter along with all wildlife.The old and weak can starve in these times.Also their ancestry has a lot to do with their fat or leanness just as it does with humans.They can be butchered and processed the same as a domestic hog.Many hunters skin them and cut them up themselves.It is hard to get one processed as wild hogs are subject to disease and such so that they could be a liability if it failed when inspected.It could close the place down until all meat inside the facility is destroyed and everything sterilized.I would never ask some one to take this risk.The cost alone could bankrupt the business.They can also carry disease and spread it into domestic hogs causing millions of dollars of damage when whole farms have to destroy all of their hogs.The only thing that I have ever saw that a hog would not willingly eat was cucumbers.You figure that one out.I cain;t.I do wonder what he knows about cucumbers that we don;t know.Now I said willingly.They will eat them if they are really mixed where they cain;t reject them.Hogs make good pets.Tame hogs are as bad as dogs about wanting to snuggle on a cold winter night and just as stubborn about it.They will wait until you are asleep and steal your blankets or try to root their way into a sleeping bag while your city friend is trying to claw his way out.No contest between a 140 lb.city boy and a 300 lb.hog.The hog managed to tear the zipper open and sleep on the bag while city boy tended the fire all night.That sow made a bed out of that sleeping bag and had her pigs on it a couple of days later.That sure was a high fa-luting hog.Had her own sleeping bag.City boy was a Boy Scout and had bragged as to how he could of taught ol Dan Boone and Dave Crockett a thing or two.I have always wondered what kind of Merit Badge he got for that night.That was some of the good old days that you never want to forget.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Wild boar can be good meat. I have had it made into sausage before and it was great. Now the cut boars and the sows are great eatin.

9. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cool Story and your right huntin hogs are to much fun

10. shooter

shooter New Member

State:
    ks
    That was a great story/ Ned Colt ks.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    MAN IT DOES SOUND FUN AND JUST A WEE BIT DANGEROUAS TOO:eek:oooh:

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A lot more than a "wee bit".Wild or domestic hogs are dangerous though often as lovable as a dog.Like dogs and people,herds are much more dangerous as packs of dogs and mobs of people are.I once saw a hand raised pet Bar-hog that was walked to the feed store to be weighed on a scale.They claimed 512 lbs.I think.I later heard that the hog was over 750 lbs.3 or 4 years later.A self feeder kept full for years plus the garbage from the family restaurant will work wonders.

I have been on my back twice with 300+ lb.domestic sows trying to kill me.The grace of God and that alone saved me both times.I have had less bad experiences with wild hogs.I expected them to try to kill me.They did try.The tame ones you pet and back scratch,you get way too careless with.They will also kill at times.Both sows were back to wanting their backs scratched and to be hand fed 20 minutes later.I forgot that tame hogs are bred for meat production,not companionship.That instant of forgetfulness almost cost me my life each time.I was grown,strong,great physical shape and experienced with the individual hog both times.

A grown wild hog is tough and bad if it lives to be a adult.Also lucky.If it weren't tough,lucky and bad,it would already be dead.In some areas it has survive panthers and bears.According to the old folk hogs would often kill these critters.A cut Bear or Panther bleeds to death too.Wild hogs have survive since Desoto in some areas by doing so.

Overconfidence accumulates with experience in many things.It maims and kills with hogs on the farm and the woods.I personally have known people who died and were maimed while hog catching.Their families suffered.You folks please remember this.I do not want to hear of it happening to anyone again.I have only found one safe way to catch a hog.The secret is to "let some other fool do it".I say fool as any time you risk your life and you don't have too is foolish.I say this with much foolish experience behind me at 62.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

13. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'd like to try hog hunting also. Hogs are tougher than you think, Peewee is right about them also. Any of them can turn on you so fast it'll make your head swim. Good story keep us posted. Later Andy

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Wow, my neighbor and i been plannin on a hog hunt for 10 years or so, I got to bring it up to him again. I think I could bone them out, and grind them up for sausage. I think it would be fun, and I may get foolish enough to try it. I'm thinkin of sittin in a strong tree, not some flimsy stand. I don't know much about it. Sounds good tho, and if its edible, then I'm real interested.

15. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    PeeWee is right about Hogs. You can eat a wild boar if he hasn't been fooled with and as soon as you kill him. Before you do anything else cut his male parts out and cut his throat. But he has been run by dogs or been made mad in any way. He will stink so bad when you cook him you can't stay in the house. I want shoot a wild boar to eat i'll kill a sow their better eating.
    Also if there are wild hogs in the area don't carry your pet dog with you! Because that pet dog will be running around through the woods and run upon a wild sow with pigs And it will start barking at them.That will make that old sow mad and she will get after the dog and the dog is going to high tail it back to you with sow after dog then you got major trouble. Then you'll have to climb a tree cause you can't out run a mad sow.