Sometimes we try too hard

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by centexcop, Jun 1, 2009.

1. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I went to work early today so I could get home early and do a little fishing. I had everything ready to go last night so I could get home this afternoon and just change clothes and get in my truck and head to the lake with the boat.

On my way home, I was thinking about catfishing. I was thinking about sinker slides, large circle hooks, and slip corks to keep the bait off the bottom. I was running things through my mind and thinking of ways to improve my skills.

I stopped at a little store to get me a cold drink and they had a little fishing supply section. While I was there, I bought some small treble hooks "prepared catfish bait, and a couple of corks. I was thinking about what Luke Clayton had said about channels being shallow right now and thought my daughter might like to get in on the action sometime this weekend.

I got home about 6:30 and headed out for the lake, which is only 10 minutes from my house. I was by myself and as I backed the boat int he water, I got to thinking about how much weight I was going to attach to the team catfish sinker slide.

I headed across the lake to a rocky wind blown point which on one side is the main body of the lake and the other a protected cove. As I through out my anchor I thought that I'd pull it up and try the other side in the protected cove. I opened my rod box and reached for my rods. I normally fish with 6500 C3's and absolutely love them. I saw my daughters rods which are ugly sticks with rhino spin casters on them.

I left my rods where they were, turned off the sonar, and drug out my daughters rods. I re rigged them with just a cork, a bobber stop, and a small treble hook.

I fished until dark with the light tackle and had a blast catching small channels. I ended up with 12 channels, one turtle, and two sticks. One of the sticks was the biggest i've ever caught....lol

The point is, sometimes we try to hard. I guess we can blame it on ourselves for improving our catfishing skills and always trying to outfish ourselves. I've outfished myself more times than I can count, but i've also been skunked while trying to catch "the one".

I'm like everyone else, I'm rigging for the beast and hoping to catch a new personal best. But after today, I'm thinking that every once in a while i'm going to forget what I know and just go out and fish. It sure is fun!

2. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I totally agree. Did the stink bait thing recently. Not because I wanted to catch channels but because I wanted my daughters to have a little more action and have some fun. It was a fun night.

3. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    It was definitely fun!

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I hear ya loud and clear!! I'm in the same boat with you. Myself, I try to hard sometimes to. Always thinking how to rig, what to use for bait and where to fish for the best success. Sometimes it works and alot of times I get skunked. Over the years I've learned alot of when, what and how to fish for the best success on the lakes I fish, but in reality, fishing should be just for fun and not so much work and thinking involved to have a great time on the water. In the near future, I will be introducing my boys to the sport of fishing and have already educated my oldest (Kyle 4) with how to cast and how to reel. He's really getting the hang of it. Almost magic how these kids pick it up so fast. Really need to sit back and have fun watching them catch their first fish and recap on how it was when I was young and going with Dad and grandpa on my first outtings!!

Fishing is for fun, just kickback and enjoy the peace and quiet GOD created!! Lucky to have been introduced to the outdoors and now I'm sharing the experience with my boys!!

Mark..

5. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Fishing with my daughter is great. It brings so much joy to me watching her reel in a fish. Not only is it good to pass the skills along, it creates so many memories that will last a long time.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ive been thinking of posting something simmilar ive been getting a bigger kick out of catching the occasional 1-2 channel or bass on the ultra light when gathering bait than i did with the last two 18-20# flatheads. i took alot lighter tackle the last trip to the river:wink:

7. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    I'm definitely going to do i more often....

8. alastingtouch

alastingtouch New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm glad you posted this. I keep it so simple. A small soft pack cooler containing shell on extra large shrimp from Wal-Mart and a box of good quality circle hooks. I put four lines in the water with only a circle hook threaded with a shrimp (no weight). The action keeps me busy and I love it. I have plenty of fillets to keep and give to family and friends.

BTW I have less snags on the bottom because I don't fish with weights. The hook and shrimp are light enough to just float over obsticals on the bottom.

Good luck guys!

9. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Kevin, welcome to the BOC

10. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I know what you mean joey. I have been trying to catch some brim
    for bait, but they were running so large and they were so aggressive
    that I never got my big rods out. I was having to much fun to leave them.

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts Joey, I enjoyed it.

-Jim-

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah you guys are so right ive been trying to catch a big one with not much luck and getting skunked so the last two weeks i just broke out some smaller baits ,and dip bait and start hammering the smaller eater size channels and having a blast.i think sometimes we can take the fun out of it for ourselves,its not always about catching the biggest fish in the water but just catching fish, its fun and relaxing.Sometimes you just gotta keep it simple.

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Always gotta remenber-There aint no such thing as a bad day fishing.:big_smile:

14. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Some trips are for monsters, others are for whatever is biten. I am prolly one of the few who target shovelnose sturgen and lil blues. If the big bite is slow out goes the light rod with worm or a lil minner ect. And sandbar fishen for lil 1 to 1/2lb blues and channels is a blast with the kidds. I learned not to get to crazy about catching monsters. Last trip me and TheMadCatter took, the big boys dident bite. So I moved upriver and we caught some 2 lb blues for funn. Had a blast till I got hung up stepped out the boat on to the dike to unhang it slipped and went in over my head:embarassed: lol. We had a good laugh about it. And headed home for the night. And ya never know when a monster will stike. Got my PB Flatt 65lbs on 10 lb line fishen with the kidds for lil ones one night :big_smile:.

15. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    sounds great to me copper

16. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    So true

17. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Most important is to have fun. We all to often forget this in life. And even more important is to take your kids with you. My oldest boy is in collage in Atlanta and I sure do miss our trips. Now my youngest is goins into the Naval Acadamy next year and I will be at a loss. I will be without my two best fishing parteners. Won't be the same.

John

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Joey, Ive been thinking like that more and more lately. Alot of times I think I try too hard, and then Im even more disappointed when I get skunked. From now on 8 out of 10 of my trips Im going to just throw out some bait, kick back and try to enjoy myself, instead of worrying about all the little things I could be doing to put myself in a better position to catch a big one. It seems like I hear about guys who dont have good tackle, and arent hardcore fishermen that get the big ones. Hopefully I can relax a little more, clear my mind, and just enjoy it. :big_smile:

19. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    John maybe one day you will be blessed with grandchildren and you can do it all over again ; )

20. ironape2

ironape2 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Keeping it simple is the way I like to fish. My problem is just being able to find some small channel cats to catch and eat. Maybe one day ill find a good spot on the creek I fish but im 0 for 8 this year. Fish around logs and brush in 2-3 feet of water during the morning. Maybe i need to try at night. Who knows.