sometimes i don;t need bait!!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by boogie man, Jan 31, 2008.

1. boogie man

boogie man New Member

State:
    texas
    i've noticed something that i don't know if this is common or not. i have several stocked catfish ponds on my place roughly 1.5 to 2 acres they are heavy stocked and i feed them. i have a trotline ; in the pool in my back yard and this is how i take some out sometimes for a fish fry.i've noticed every time it storms i catch several fish on naked hooks. there will be no bait of any kind and no residue left . sometimes it will 2 or 3 months since the last time i baited it. i do catch more when the hooks are new; but don't know if this has anything to do with it.the fish are always hooked in the mouth. any other catmen had this to happen or can explain it?

2. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    never had that much luck.LOL

3. Finesse

Finesse New Member

State:
    Sacramento,Ca
    sounds like those cats are hungry, never had a cat do that but bass/ bluegills/ crappie and even trout have hit my bare hook.

4. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I've had that happen to me before. My dad has a small stock tank the we used to run a trotline in every now and then just to see what we could catch. We would quit baiting it for a while and then catch one or two out of the blue without any bait. We've sort of had this happen on a lake one time. We put out a line and the lake came up and we couldn't get to it for about a month. Came back and the line was loaded with fish. The only hooks that didn't have a fish on them had some fresh shrimp. That wasn't our bait, but the fish were ours. The line came out that day.

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Grimlins are keeping your line baited :roll_eyes:

Seriously, have heard of cats biting bare hooks before, especially new shiny ones.

Could be due to the atmospheric conditions of the storms. Barometric pressure etc. or even the lightning.

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    some others have posted this also. ppl use to run lines w/no bait on them, something about the bright shiny silver hooks attracting the cats, maybe when the current or water is moving just right it might look like it has bait on it shining in the water.:cool2::cool2: