Sometimes getting wet is worth it!!

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by bonapetit2, Aug 7, 2007.

1. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hit the river again last night, thunderstorms and showers all around us but we decided to stay and fish...caught one fish, this 40lbs. 3 oz. flatty. On a six inch live bluegill in about 7 feet of water near a steep drop off from 2 feet of water. Water temp was 82 degrees with little to no current, it was about 11:00 pm.
    Gave my partner Rich one heck of a fight, took him about 20 minutes to bring him in on 15lbs. test mono. This beast managed to snap my net in half as well.

Attached Files:

2. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    That is a HUGE FISH, thanks for sharing:0a31::worship::worship::worship:

3. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Forgot to mention fish was cpr'd, as are all the flatties I've caught the last couple months.
    The fish have progressively gotten bigger evey time out it seems...I can smell that 50 #'er :wink:

Attached Files:

4. gillage

gillage New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Very Nice, thanks for the cpr and the report.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing your fishing trip with us. One nice flathead. Enjoyed the pics. Thanks.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on the big flathead. Looks like you may need a new net though:eek:oooh::smile2:.

7. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Luckily it snapped after I got the fish over the gunnel...I'm still laughing about it.
    Definitely was a nice fish

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    NICE fish! and thats prolly the best thing for that net, good thing she let go in the boat!! :wink:

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Congratulations! Good job on CPRing that baby.

10. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is one of the biggest Fox River flatheads I've ever seen! Nice job! I've been catching some fish, but nothing remotely close to that size! I guess there is hope though.

11. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Great job Phil!!!! Me and Moose always talk about the elusive 40#`s on the Fox...your one of the few that has ever caught one. Did you get the measurement? I cant help laughing at that net because i had the same one when i landed my pb 5yrs ago. I could`nt get the fish to fit in the net so i borrowed someone else`s fishing next to us. The net ended up bending in half:smile2:. Again...great job and thanks for practicing CPR.

12. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Didn't get a measurment Kenny...I was pretty much in shock for a few minutes after it finally got in the boat, just wanted to weigh it and get a few pics, and get it back in the water.
    The big ones are in there for sure...how big?? Who knows...hopefully it will be one of us who finds out!!:wink:

13. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That's a quality fish, for sure. Very few Fox flatheads that size I see actual pictures of.

What kind of scale did you use, or was weight estimated?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, that fish could eat most of the Fox flats I've caught!

Shawn

14. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nice fish there, my friend!! Sounds like a great time out. Keep it up.

15. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Shawn,
    I have a Berkley 50 lbs. digital scale, I'm pretty sure it's accurate...but thanks for the heads up

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The fish is definetly impressive, but what was more impressive was mention of the fact he was using 15 pound test line. In most situations, you just don't need 80 or 100 lb test line. AND, it seems to me, if you are into CPR, you wouldn't even net a fish due to the loss of slime and damage that could result to the fish. I am no strong man, never have been, but I always grabbed big cats by the lower jaw. I know, to each his own, but it just seems to me that is the way its' done. LOL

17. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Lawrence,
    I appreciate your kind words and helpful input...it was definitely fun watching the fish be caught on lighter line, and I'm sure Rich enjoyed catching it on the low test as well, although I did check his spool a few times to see if I needed to crank up the motor for a chase or not!
    I have not caught many "large" Flatheads in my lifetime...although we've had a good year this year, but I have realesed eveyone that was caught...never considered the damage that the net could cause, this was a point well taken.

18. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    nice lookin fish, and good job with the cpr buddy. thats what the BOC stands for:wink: