something you might want to do

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jul 15, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i figerd something out, i awlways run foot long drops never get many hits at this new spot, i seen a guy running his threeway on the bottem so the drop and leader are close together to keep it flat on the bottem , low and behold, i got my second largest flathead 42 pounds, weghd him three times one was 41 one 42 one 43 so i went with 42, so if your having troble this might be a solution, it was for me, heres some pics of it in the avatar

2. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    AWESOME fish, Jake!! Congrats man.:wink:

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    YEA ITS A SMALL LOOKING 43 BUT THE SCALE DONT LIE, I HOLD ALL MINE AGAIST ME NOT OUT so you can get the real size nothing wrong with making em look bigger i just like holding em right agaist me, probly could of got more but, im a guy whos satisfide with one, i got to drive to get a pic of me holding it and i dident want it to die, but they seem to be at the very bottem here so if my drop is to long they wont hit

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice Flathead Jake.....congrats! By fishing the carolina rig....your bait will be right on the bottom too.:wink:

5. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    im lookin for my first flatty. got a log jam i figured has to hold one or two. the gar are so thick though.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea ,i might swithch to a carolina but, the thing about the modified threeway is it moves around in the whitewater, the carolina spinns and, the sinker dosent always hit the swival, but im going to stick to this methed till fall, got alot of ideas for winter bluecats

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Way to go Slikk, nice flattie. I fish with a sliding sinker attached to my line with a swivel and bead with an 18-24" leader. Keeps bait down but still allows him to swim around. Stay safe and keep sticking 'em!!!:wink:

8. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Congrats. Sweet cat

John

9. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Way to go Jake.Very nice fish.Two big fish in rercent months right?Thats "consistancy".Keep up the good work bro!And good on you for the big fish release.Continued fishing success to you.

10. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Way to go Jake, learning s we go along, that's great! Thanks for the post and congradulations on that big flat!

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    its strange, a small thing like the lenth of your drop can have the game lost or won, i also used team circals with green sunfish, im waiting to bust that 50 pound marker on a flat, and the 15 for blues,

12. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    awesome bro great fish!!!!

13. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Very nice fish Jake.

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    great catch, i'm glad ta see ya got a scale!:wink:

15. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Great fish, congratulations.

16. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Way to go Jake, Congrats on the very nice flat:cool2::smile2: Thanks for sharing the story.

17. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    So you're saying that on the sinker-side of your 3-way, you should tie your sinker with a piece of line that's only a couple inches long?

Like the attached graphic:

Attached Files:

18. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i like fishing the bottom too! i use a carolina rig with a 18-24in. leader!

19. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea, but not in most cases this is just a strage thing due to the way the dam is made, the flats will not suck the bait if he drop is more than 6 inches below the leader, now this may be true for alot of places, but, it is true,i used the foot long weght drop ,never got a hit, my frend used the drop and weght even so the eght drop was agast the fish, and he pulled 4 out in 15 mints a 32 23 and 2 15s,so i went back and tried the drop and bam, strange,very strange,it seemsthe undertoe, holds them down and they got to wasg in ther mouth,now i thoght about using the carolina but, im afraid the weght might not stay slid down on the swivel, THIS IS TO THE GUY THAT ASKED ABOUT THIS METHED,ITS VERY STANGE

20. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Real nice fish Jake...Congrats.