Something to think about.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mac-b, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Over the centuries, Americans have kept everything they caught in thier rivers and lakes. It was a food source for them and thier families. They hauled the fish off in buckets, stringers, boxes, back of their pickup trucks, buggies, wagons, etc. They ate them right away or the smoked or pickled them to preserve them for a later date. In the 1980's this practice of keeping everything you caught started to wind down due to a lot of factors. One was the economic situation some found themselves in (it was more convient to buy fish at the fish market, grocery store, etc.), one was the publicity offered by fishing clubs and major bass touraments, such as B.A.S.S., FLW, and of late, the BOC and other on line clubs and boards. Also, Mercury, PCB's and other chemicals in our waterways makes it unsafe to eat fish regularly from our rivers and lakes. For the most part, our fisheries of the past, became our sport fisheries as we know it now. It is true that most of us still eat fish from public waters, but it is limited due to a lot of factors.

Some of you are probably saying, Mac we know that, why the history lesson. The lesson is this, when you see an Asian, Hispanic or any other new comer to the US of A and they are keeping everything they catch, think back on your ancestors and why they harvested everything they caught. Small fish can be used for stock for some of thier native dishes, ground up for fish patties, etc. Also, our newcomers share their food with thier kin and others. Additionally, don't assume that they have read your state fishing regulations, most, but not all, know enough English to make a living, but not enough to understand the written English.

I have heard some people say that the newcomers are getting a free ride because they do not have a fishing license. In my area, the public fishing areas are checked on a dailey basis to catch and fine those without a fishing license. It only takes one person getting arrested and fined for the others to buy their fishing license.

Paul and the staff are cracking down on those using slang language and rude comments about our newcomers. Over many generations, this has happened to the Greeks, Italians, Irish, Poles, Russians, Germans, etc.

Currently, the BOC is made up of people from all over the world and out of respect, we should respect customs of the first generation coming to our fruitful land and remember our own ancestor and thier practices. In time, they will respect our current traditions and past this on to their children and/or grandchildren. Most, when they can understand the written English will find out how bad some of our fish are for human consumption and not eat them at all and we will be back to square one.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good post Mac, and food for thought. They started a couple of urban trout fisheries near me a few years ago. I went and caught some trout a couple of times to see what it was all about. It's cool that they do it for those that don't have immediate access to the trout parks, or their native streams. Anyway, while I was there, there were a couple of folks fishing that were of foreign descent. Several times, I watched as a girl would walk across the ice, fill a bucket with fish they had caught, leave and come back to fill another bucket. There were officers there checking people's licenses, and I figure it probably eventually came back on them. I didn't tell on them. Figured they would get caught, and who knows about their financial situation. Still made me a little mad.

I have also seen some immigrants netting shad, and I know they were intended for human consumption! :eek:oooh: To each his own, but...no thanks.

I eat some fish that I catch...when I get to go fishing lol. I keep an eye on the advisories, and all that. That being said, 80-90% of the fish in stores comes from China, some from Thailand. Some is US farm raised, and some is wild caught in US water. I would eat any fish out of any water in Missouri before I would eat fish from China. I also have a hard time paying $6 a pound for farm raised catfish. I may end up paying that much or more to go catch it, but at least I had fun doing it. :big_smile:

Just my .02, and do not wish for this to seem contrary to your post. Hope it doesn't come off that way. Just an opinion.