Something to think about

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Mac-b, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I am a CPR fisherman and proud of it, as are a bunch of other fisherperson on this board. But I have noticed a trend and it is not a good trend from a brotherly standpoint.

When a newbie (new member) comes aboard and makes a post about catching a trophy and cutting it up for food, we, the CPR's, jump on him or her in the open forum about saving the big ones for reproduction and/or the enjoyment of others to catch it again.

I would like to suggest that we send the newbie a PM and explain to him or her why we/you think it is a good idea to preserve these trophies. That way, the newbie is not embarrassed on his first, second or tenth post. I'm sure it is a humbling experience to join a new group and get put down as soon as you arrive. Also, it would serve us well to remember "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Lets give it a try, what do you say?

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    So instead of jumping on him in public, jump on him in a private message?

What's the difference???
    Sounds like he'll get jumped on anyway.

:004:

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Will, the difference would be that you would be talking to him person to person, rather than in front of a group. You don't have to do it at all.

4. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I know there's a difference.
    Jumping on him in private instead of publicly.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree Mac. I remember how it feels being hesitant enough as a new member. It took me a while to get my feet wet, and often worried enough about posting. If it wasn't for a few good people im now good friends with, I may have driffted off to cyberspace.. I think these new members need the encouragement to post and feel welcomed! We can give em hell later:smile2::wink: rollo

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I have no problem with what you are saying. The problem I have is when people say they are getting jumped on. What do we consider being jumped on ? I myself on the norm say, " Nice fish but I would rather see the bigger one's let go "., and then give them a congrats.

I'm not sure if you think of that as a cpr bashing or not. Maybe you are referring to the more negative remarks that are usually posted. If someone decides to show a dead 60lb cat, to me they are expressing their attitudes on releasing. In return I express mine, but I feel I do it in a respectful manner. I always thank them, and tell them congrats. I always enjoy reading cat catching posts and would still love to see them...even if we don't agree on releasing.

When I joined BoC I didn't release big fish, I wont even put my Pb in my avatar. People expressed their opinions pretty hard on me also but I hung in there. Today I'm glad I thickened up and learned not to take things so personal.

I agree with ya Mac, but I need some thoughts on what we all consider jumping on someone. If anyone thinks that what I say is to much, I for one would be willing to say nothing if we agree it would keep more new members around.

Good thread, I will also be reevaluating my attitude on this subject.....If I see fit ; )

-Jim-

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    And even though we hold the values to release and protect those trophy fish, we need to remember that these individuals, (in most cases depending on state), are not breaking the law, so unless regulations are put into action to protect the bigger fish, it's ones personal call in most cases whether to keep the trophy fish or not. If it is a legal catch, then they have their choice to ether keep the fish or protect the fishery and release.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

I know you weren't talking to me Mac and I agree with your premise, but not your solution.
    I mind my own business when it comes to new members and there fishing practices. I figure that just by joining our great family here and reading post that they will soon learn what is best for finding, catching and preserving our sport. Other than a PM which could sound a little preachy and put some people off and perhaps set them against the very thing you are trying to promote. Simply mention CPR in the form of a question at the end of your post. Something like, Wow what a nice cat. I'll bet that was fun to catch. I personally let the big ones go. By the way, what do you think about CPR?
    Remember you can catch more fly's with honey that vinegar. :wink:

9. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I agree. I just mind my business.

10. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    As a new member I dont feel when I made a post about what fish I choose to keep and release, which my view is different form a lot of peoples, thta anybody when giving me there personall opinions were ragging on me, I respect everyones opinion, and who knows, telling that person why you feel CPR is a good thing might make them look at it a little differently, just a thought.

11. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Breaking the law has nothing to do with it. It comes down to being responsable and killing trophy fish is not responsable. And apathy will only make this situation worse if you "mind your own buisness" it will only get worse. Also i think if you are a fisherman it is your buisness so if someones feelings are hurt a little then so be it. I know i will probably get negative reps. for this post and i am willing to except that because i am very passionate about this. There is an old saying thats stands true for this "you have to break a few eggs to make an omlet"

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The answer is not too rag someone about it...but to educate them on the positive effects of CPR. After all it is a personal decision. The more information a person has...the better they will be able to understand the need to release the "BIGGUNS" I think we owe it to our sport to educate not dictate!:cool2:

13. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    CPR is totally a matter of preference and not a law. It's practice should be taught, not enforced. Another common practice with many of us is also now in question. How many of us have cut the line on a gut hooked fish and released it thinking the hook will dissolve? How many hooks have you seen dissovle in your tackle box when they get wet? One study of dead cats found in a river, determined that most had hooks in them and probably died from infection or the inability to feed. Starvation is inhumane. I think a gut hooked cat should be kept. If you are releasing gut hooked fish, are you bad? No. If you don't practice CPR are you bad? No. Just uneducated on what is needed or "not" needed to preserve our resources.

14. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Jeff i agree the hooks may not disolve but i do know that a fish has a better chance surviving being put back in the water than he does being put in a pan of hot grease. Im not against keeping some eaters but never ever killing a trophy fish.

15. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Lead by example? If you make posts that are designed to make someone feel bad for something they do that is not illegal and is a matter of personal preference, it'll probably be removed from the board. I've said time and again, this site is kept safe for everyone. Not just anyone that agrees with CPR. If you have a preference and a desire to spread the word about how you feel about it, then post each and every fish you "catch and release" with some words of encouragement about why it's important. If you attack or "rag" on someone on our site, you'll find out how serioius we are about keeping it safe and "enjoyable for everyone". Don't be mistaken about my post I am not intentionally singling anyone out on this, there are many on here that know how I feel about ganging up on new members for anything. This is just one subject that seems to bring it on. We work very hard for new members. One of the fastest ways there is to run one off is to gang up on him like we've all seen in the past. It's a nice thought to know someone quit our board and kept on doing exactly what we all want stopped. Just because they weren't here long enough to see how important it is to CPR. Obviously I agree with releasing big fish, I just don't agree with jumping on someone that doesn't think like I do. Let them watch and learn, it'll last much longer and won't make anyone mad in the process. We strive to maintain a very informational, fun, relaxed and child safe environment on the BOC. And I hope that is apparent to everyone.

16. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bryan my intentions were not to gang up on or rag on anyone. I was only giving my stance on this topic and responding to something i disagree with. If someone was offended by this they shouldnt be i still respect that they have their right to do what they feel is right. I do feel though that i should have the right to disagree in a civil discussion. I dont think anything i said was out of line or said in a disrespectful manner but i guess something could be lost in translation because of the fact that you can only type your words and not speak face to face. So with that said if i offended anyone i apologize and in the future i will never discuss this topic again on this forum.:sad2:

17. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i would like to post a quote by a former musician. i actually didnt like the guy too much, but it doesnt matter because now he is dead. it is a little out of context, but not by much.

"dont deny a man his education and then lock him up for being ignorant... thats what they did to me" --james brown.

b4 i found the boc, i had no clue about cpr of cats. bass, reds, specks, sure. catfish. what for? i had honestly never even considered it. it didnt take long for me to gain a lil education on the subject just by reading some of yall's post. i have since changed my ways. (except for a few eaters-which i DO LUV TO EAT). personally, i am glad the subject never came up about cpr for the first few weeks i was on the board. i know myself well enough to know how spiteful i would react to some of the responses i have seen on here against ppl who are just unfamiliar with catch picture release catfishing. i like mac's idea. but, i am open to other ideas too. i dont really think we should ignore things. but like the netman said... you catch more flies with honey.

18. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    As I said, I wasn't singling you out. I just used your post for an example. I can't remember you ever ganging up on anyone. I believe you have good intentions. I am pretty passionate myself about this subject, but have a differing idea of how to educate others about it. I'm also very passionate about how our members get treated by all of us. You didn't say or do anything wrong, so please don't take it that way. Thanks.

19. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    It amazes me the people who will jump on another person for keeping a fish, will be the same ones running up and down the water system poluting the water with there 2 stroke out boards. Now if you have a 4 stroke then I applaud you. But remeber don't only protect the fish, but its habitat.

20. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I agree. Hard to protect the fish if you don't protect their water. As far as this thread goes, a lot of interesting opinions on this. I wasn't going to say much on this but can't help it. The people that will jump on a person for keeping a big fish is the person I care nothing to fish with. Now jumping on someone about it and politely suggesting that they practice CPR is two entirely different things. I know both are trying to protect the resource: one just goes about it the wrong way. I'm sure all of us, when we started fishing, have kept fish that now we wish we have turned loose. That's the learning process. After all, isn't that one of the reasons that we are all on this site.