Something to think about

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by wolfman, Jul 31, 2006.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive always been a avid flathead fisher and lately have caught a couple good blue cats. The one thing that has eluded me is a big channel cat. The reason why ?............ Its because I havent been targeting them. Occasionally I will catch a few 7 and 8 pound channels accidently when targeting flatheads but can not say that I have actually set out for a trophy channel catfishing outing. Im going to set a goal for next year to target a few big channels or at least break that 10 pound barrier. Just wonder if some of you out there have been passing up the channels for the larger blues and flatheads.

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Walter it sounds like you are the man with the plan. Good luck to you.
    I have been giving some though to hitting Burnsville lake for a try at the big flatheads there. Would camp there and fish at night but the heat is beating me down.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    So far this year my targets have been bowfin, gar and carp...:angry:

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'd pass em up if the others were here! LOL!

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    William, good luck at Burnsville, thats a very good flathead lake. Home of the Muddy Bottom Monsters.

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    My biggest Channel, 22.5lbs, came off a AlfAlfa Doughball (go figure heh) I had out to play with the carp while I was waiting on the cats...
    ***Disclaimer to readers: Fluke kinda thing and I wouldnt recommend using AlfAlfa doughballs as your primary channel bait :lol: :big_smile: :tounge_out: ***

Generally, when I'm flathead hunting, I try to throw 1 live and 1 cut (2 pole limit) ... I do catch channels from time to time and they tend to run bigger than those I catch with Dip...Curious to what you may do different to target BIG! Channels as opposed to Flatheads.. Diff kinds of structure, bait or ???

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    my biggest channels have come off of Liver and live bluegills/sunfish... not really cutbait... my two largest 10.25 and 13+ (15-18 but scale wouldn't go up that high) came off chicken liver and were caught in late summer/early autumn...

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    On the river I fish The flats and channels do have overlapping territories. The channels seem to pick areas with just a tick faster current than the flats. They will also take turns on certain flats or sandbars. The channels move in right at dusk and hit well for a couple hours then either move off or get chased off and then the flatties take over for a couple hours. The pattern continues thru the night. I've had the same (wave) experience with other river fish, I'll be out catching gills on this shallow rocky stretch for an hour or so then the next hour all I can catch is baby channels, then the baby carp move in then back to the gills with a few sauger mixed in. It's like clockwork.

9. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    What I seem to notice is in the areas where there is a lot of fishing pressure (public lakes, and heavily fished rivers) the big channel cats dont seem to be there. It might be because the channel cats are caught out of it so much that none have the opportunity to get big. But there is a creek by my house that no one (or nearly no one but me) fishes. I have caught an 8 and a 12 pound channel cat out of it. By my books those are trophy channel cats. Any other lake or river that I have fished I havent caught a channel cat that was much over 4 pounds; all of the other ones are more heavily fished though. So it might be heavy fishing pressure that keeps the big channels away.

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sound to me like a plan,I wish you well my trophy fishing number is a big fat zero! BAh HumBUG,I know thats a saying usually reserved for Christmas,but it sums up my feelings. I would love to catch a troph flat or channel or blue it would tickle me pink!--------pk powell:crazy: :big_smile:

11. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ive been doing the same thing this summer. ive just been fishing for flats every trip. ive gone channel cat fishing twice this whole summer as to flathead fishing prob 25. funny thing is i catch more big flats than i do eater channels.

12. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yes us guys from Jersey always target trophy channel catfish. Cause its all we got but Im sure that we get our fair share of 10+ pounders every spring and fall. Just about all of us guys from Jersey target the Delaware river 90% of the time and after a while you just get a feel for were the bigger ones are at at certain times of the year.