Something to think about......

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Steveng79, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Steveng79

Steveng79 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Please do not start replying and arguing back and forth about CRP. Just read and take from it what you will.

First I grew up trot lining and keeping everything I caught. Wackem and stackem. This is how it was supposed to be. You caught it, you cleaned it, and you ate it, period. My Grandpa will roll over in his grave when he hears this.......but it time to change people.

How long does it take for a fish to reach 20, 30, or 50 plus pounds? I want the fishing to be better for all of our kids then it ever will be in my lifetime. Is it not our duty to leave this place better then we found it? Its time to take care of a resource we all get so much enjoyment from.

I was able to go fishing with a very good fisherman, (he knows who he is), and that day I realized he actually cares for the fish and the sport. Fishermen like him are the evolution.

If I can change anyone can. And if they can’t so be it. Just teach the new generation to respect our natural resource. Just look around you. Times are changing. It will become less and less acceptable to kill a fish older then you are.

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Couldn't agree more Steven!! Thanks for post!! Definently words of wisdom!!

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Oh, c'mon, no more yankin' and spankin' or whatever? No pictures of big dead fish to show new people to the sport or site how us catfishermen respect the resource and actually view it as a sport and not a trip to the grocery store? :smile2:

Good post, thread won't last long most likely, but a good post.

4. Missouricathunter25

Missouricathunter25 New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    My Grandpa will roll over in his grave when he hears this.......but it time to change people.

Thats what Barack Obama said but i haven't seen any change yet lol lol. :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: If I want to clean a 60lb blue I will. Plenty of meat for my whole family and friends!! There are plenty of big cats still in our streams. If there wasn't then my grandpa and great grandpa caught em all b4 i was born!! Just quit craming cpr down my throat!!

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man i use to be the same way. I will CPR my big fish. But If someone wants to keep a big fish thats up to them. But if they are fishing from my boat, it gets released. Thats my rule, if they don't like it then they don't have to fish from it. If we are all fishing from the bank and my buddy wants to keep a 30 pound flat, more power to him. Andrew

6. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    I am CPR all the way. However I can't hate on people who do keep what they catch to feed familly and freinds. I am sure though that in time there will be limits on keeping bigger fish.

7. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Well gents here is my take on this one. First of all GREAT POST. I myself use to stack em like cord wood and I do still keep a few cats from time to time. And Yes I do release my trophy cats I catch. But that's me. But if you have a permit to fish and you are fishing legally then it is your right to keep what you catch. Sorry CPR Guys But thats just the facts. I know you don't like it and I don't either but that's the way it is. I don't want to see a trophy cut up but if it's caught legally then I can't say much.

John

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC

Great point - more and more research is pointing to the fact that these larger fish take a looooong time to get that way. More folks fishing for them means more getting caught. Quite a bit different than deer where you can grow a monster in 5 or 6 years.

Go ahead and post them - I'll make sure that I send them to the regional fisheries biologists and anyone else at MDC that I can think of as further evidence as to why we need a slot limit or other regulations in MO.

Sponsors for the site probably love it, too. Nothing like trying to sell your gear to anglers looking for a trophy and having a segment of the population steady killing the trophies and bragging about it next to their ads.

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Great post Steven....some people just have that mentality that "there's plenty, there will always be plenty, so don't try to tell me otherwise". That's exactly what they did with every other species that are now on the endangered list. Some folks just take take take, give me give me give me....it's sad but reality.

10. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    While I dont keep many fish and when I do they are in the under 10# range I do not fault someone who does I grew up dirt poor alot of times food was what was shot or caught. my Great Grandfather was the one who taught me to hunt and fish. It has not only helped feed me and my family through my life but has given me some of the best times in my life.

11. Steveng79

Steveng79 New Member

State:
    missouri

I was going to say the same thing about deer. A trophy deer takes about 5-6 years to grow and you must take the older deer so that the younger deer have the ability to mate, while also keeping the doe ratio down. Just look at the 4 point antler restriction. It went over so well it was not only continued but broadened. Do any of you remember the comeback of the wild turkey to Missouri? With the new breed sportsmen and cutting edge biology things are only going to get better.

Cathunter25, it is your right, but have no doubt about it things will be changing. I like the taste of fish but my T-bone last night wasn't bad either. And that T-bone wont provide a great fight in the future!

No reason to bicker like children. The law is the law, but I would bet the bank it will change in my lifetime.

12. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

Good post Steven, I bet you got to be fast with the camera practicing CRP:smile2:

One thing that has always amazed me is the growth rate of bluecats and how long it actually takes to reach trophy size. I have had this page bookmaked and use it sometimes for reference. It gives you a good idea on growth studies.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/research/bluecatfishmanagementresearch.pdf

It's from the Oklahoma Dept. of Wildlife but, some of the lakes and river systems they study are pretty similar to those around our area.

This quote opens up my eyes the most.

"it takes about 12-14 years for a blue catfish to reach 10 pounds. Given the
    average mortality rate (25%), for every 10,000 age-1 blue catfish in a lake, less than 300 of these make it to 10 pounds. You can imagine how few ever make it to 50 pounds."

Good chart below

Attached Files:

13. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Very well said Steven.

14. Guitarzan

Guitarzan New Member

State:
    Missouri
    No fish over 4 lbs ever come home for my dinner table. Anything over 4 lbs goes back in the river a.s.a.p.

15. jim700

jim700 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Alright im gonna post my opinion on this, i have been fishing since i was 2 im now 18. I have fished at a nearby lake in St.James and i used to always come home with a nice stringer of catfish for the last three years i have hit this lake hard and have caught maybe 15 to 20 cats out of it in three years. I literally took every fish i caught home big small it didnt matter, now when i take trips there i have to bass fish because there just arent many catfish left to catch, i think this works the same way in rivers and bigger lakes, if you get enough people like myself that keep everything including the trophys ( i havent caught a trophy) then eventually there wont be anything left to catch. It seems that there is an abundance of catfish now but what about when more people get into the sport and more and more just keep taking what they catch, well one of two things will happen the fish will get smarter or people will catch so many of them they wont be able to replenish themselves. Ill be honest the first trophy i catch will probably be coming home with me to eat it but after the first one i will release anything over 10 lbs. I am changing my fishing habits so other people will be able to have the same enjoyment i get whenever i do hook into some cats. Dont get me wrong i love to eat fish but i think theres a point where you get in your life and you look at things differently whether its to late or soon, at some point things will change. Whether people like it or not the fishing laws are going to start a rapid change in the next five to ten years anyway. I like catch and release but i like to eat them to so im actually on both sides here i think if its over a certain weight and your not starving let the thing go, even if someone else catches and keeps it you know you did your part by letting it go. I dont know to many people who are starving and only go out and fish for giant catfish anyway, ive had my fair share of rough spots where ive had to go kill or catch dinner but i just dont see many people going out for trophy cats when there starving. Anyway i agree with releasing the fish at a certain stage and at other stages keeping and eating them..

hope i didnt ramble to much or hope that doesnt get confusing ive been up since 4:00 A.M

16. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Sort of like selling cigarettes,ain't it.I practice C.P.R.,but know some folks that don't.All you can do is explain how few trophies there are,and hope you get through.Fighting and arguing don't help.

17. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Like I said,arguing does no good.Neither does baiting a post to start a fight.

18. jim700

jim700 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    no one should cram anything down anyones throat, this is a dumb topic if someone wants to eat what they catch they can thats the law like it or not, deal with it.

19. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Didn't you just "cram your veiw" down our throats with that post?Not to mention your avatar speaks for you.I don't mean that meanly,it just shows yor point of veiw.

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS

Not sure on that one, but the MDC tagged flathead I caught a few weeks ago had taken 2 years to grow from 17.6" to 23". This under 5lb fish was over 5 years old. Last year I caught a big flathead on the KS River, and my partner ran into the KState guys doing the flathead study a few days later. Based upon their collected growth data, they estimated a fish this size on the Kansas River to be over 25 years old.

Clearly it takes many years to grow a big flathead in this area.