Something I've pondered from time to time....

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SubnetZero, Jul 26, 2006.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    When your out fishing and keep catching dink after dink, Is there also large Cats in the area as well? Seems at times I'll get into a schools of 1-2 pound or less channels and don't know if I should move, swap bait, change depth or presentation.. Im wondering if Larger cat will school or move with the smaller ones... Has anyone been in similar situations and found Big ones with the dinks????

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

What do you consider a dink? If all you are catching is 1 pound and under you may want to change places but if you consider a dink to be 10-30 pounds wait and use bigger bait.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I dont think they hang together, they will get eatin by the biguns. That is my thoughts anyway.

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    By dink I mean the 1-2 pounds or less (down to ounces hehe).... Usually have that happen if Im channel catting with stink bait/worms/shrimp/etc... I always have a flathead rig out (live war mouth or bluegill) and notice It doesnt get touched, while the other is slammed non stop by the small ones...I usually get tired of fooling with all the small ones and move on.. But was wondering if Im making a mistake and should just switch out to something like large cut bait, etc...

5. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    The little fish know if there is a big fish around. The little ones get et by the big ones. So if there is a big one around, there wont be any little ones. That is what I find.

6. ronnycl

ronnycl Member

State:
    NW/MS
    bigger bait = bigger fish....try using cut bait on a 7/0 hook and you will see big fish.

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Lots of people say move but i like to get some action rather than none.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    "when the cats away the mice will play"......this is also true with fish (catfish too:big_smile:). if you keep getting pecked to death its usually small channels, bullheads, turtles, or crawfish. if they are out there in the open then they arent scared so there arent any biggins around. if your deep, then try shallow, or vice versa. if your in slack water, then find current or vice versa. 9 times out of 10 though the bigger fish arent hitting at all when your getting dinks but i have changed depths sometimes and found the bigger ones.

9. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I have to agree with Tea on this one. any time I'm catching dinks I don't ever seem to catch anything of size, so if that happens I move. :smile2:

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Switching to cutbait will generally increase your average sized channel cat to about 5lbs+. Most of the cats I catch on cutbait are from 3-12lbs. And all my channel cats bigger then 12lbs have come on live bluegill while flathead fishing.

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I love to think I know a little something every now and then. LMAO

Thanks brother.