Something I saw while fishing saturday

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by centexcop, Dec 7, 2008.

1. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    My daughter, Katie, and I were fishing the upper end of Lake Travis Saturday. We were fishing from the bank as the upper end is only accessible by bank right now (lake extremely low). An old man pulled up and parked on the high bank. He walked down with two rods, a bait bucket, and a tackle bag. After he stopped and talked to us for a bit, he walked up the bank and set out his gear. It was at least 30 minutes before he had a bait in the water. He spent all that time untangling and re-rigging his two poles.

When I told Katie this morning that I wanted to go fishing for a few hours, I had already checked everything and made sure that all we would have to do would be cut some bait and put it on the hook. I had a fair amount of tackle organization and kept most of my poles ready to go before joining the BOC. I guess I was taught to put everything in it's place after a fishing trip and be ready for the next.

After I joined the BOC, i learned even more tackle organization skills and can enjoy much more fishing time when i'm fishing. I guess the point i'm trying to make is that I was a little shocked to see someone so disorganized when it comes to going fishing. I want to thank everyone here for furthering my education and the importance of being organized. I have to wonder, was I ever as disorganized as this person?

Thank you for helping me learn more than i kew about fishing.

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i know what you mean joey i think sometimes i'm to organized like you i've seen people spend an hour along the bank just getting things ready to fish to me thats wasted time that could be used to fish but to each his own

3. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Is there such a thing as being too organized? lol But you are right, to each his own. I thought about it a little more and this might have been the first time in a long time he had been fishing and just wanted to get out there. I wasn't judging or putting him down, just thinking out loud.

4. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Ask me to go fishing and it will be about 7 minutes before I am in the truck and ready. A place for everything and everything in it's place.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yeah ive seen people that way to,as a matter of fact until i went out and got good rods and ABU reels i was like that sometimes.Now i try to be careful as i can and i also am better organized and always trying to improve on being better.Great bunch of folks on here,im always learning something new and when i have aq question about fishing,this is the first place i go to find out and my questions are always answered.Good topic by the way.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Yup, to organized here, can have the poles in the water in two minutes. :wink:

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yep, when I leave the water, the poles are ready to go for the next round, unless something went ,,,,ASKEW!!!!!.

I do not leave ANY hooks on my rigs,,,,,OOOOOOWWWWWWWWW,that hurts..

so, upon arrival at the fish extraction site, I do have to tie on hooks, n' stuff.

8. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I too am about as organized as I can get. As we speak in this 20 degree weather. I am ready to go with all my tackle ready to go in the back of my Jeep. Although I am ready to go I have noticed that once people retire from thier jobs life begins to slow down. Take my father for example !!!! What once was of high priority in his life has now taken a back seat to being slow. I know for a fact part of the enjoyment in a fishing trip for him is to prepare once he has arrived at his destination. It seems backward to me but who am I to judge the man that busted his ass for me. I too often shake my head at those of us who are not prepared but who knows maybe there is something to slowing down and seeing the smaller things in life. If you notice life has become more complicated with all this stuff that was supposed to speed us up and make things more simple. :wink:

9. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    Sometimes I think I,m to organized or just over supplied true I can have a pole out in a min or two but my bucket , bait and poles might weigh what seems like 15-18 lbs :crazy: . I walk as much as 3/4 mile to some spots.

10. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    As i sit and ponder this post more I cant help but think that we as people fail to realize that there comes a point in life that we prioritize things differently and we judge each other upon the point in life that we are in. I for one am very guilty of this as I was today at the gas station. Maybe there is something to the saying of " Stop and smell the roses" !!!!!!!:confused2:

11. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Well I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that is prepared and ready to go.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep tamjohn has it pretty well figured out everybodys on a diffrent schedual hes probally got nuthing going on other than getting out of the house and wetting a line. some of us make a whole day of it some just have a few hours and want to get the most out of it. i the latter i will usually make sure my poles are rigged up and retied if need be the day before & check the river level to know what size sinkers to toss in so im not packing any extra weight. Get there set up rod holdes and get my poles in the water and then spread out. if i dont get a bite right away i might make an extra leader or two. all about time management organize and simple.