Something I learned

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by cathouse, May 7, 2007.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Well the BOC has helped me tremendously in my catfishing ventures . But here is something i was taught by a local . i was at my local high school football feild practicing my casting with my old penns . and doing not to bad so i thought . when a neighbor walked over and told me i see your getting better which made me happier than i was pulling out one of my occasional eagles nest that i still get . when he offerd to share some advise if i would not be offended . I quickly accepted , he reached in his pocket and pulled out a small tube of grease called "super lube" and asked if he could see my squidder and i reluctantly handed him my newly acuired reel he started taking the reel apart and proceeded to hand me the spool and put a small amount of this grease in both ends where the spool inserts into them and then reassemble my reel then spun the spool a couple of times and handed it back to me , i spun the spool and thought what have i done it did not spin any where as freely as it did prior to his advise but he assured me it was ok and told me to try it again and i did the first cast was twenty something yards further than my best cast ever . What he had done was simply slowed the spool down enough to compensate for my dumd thumb . By the end of that session i was throwing a 3oz. sinker almost goal post to goal post with absolute minimal thumbing of the spool with proper spool tension on my 7ft. mh tiger rod . Needless to say i was eternally greatful to him . for what he had done and got a tube of "super lube" and a friend as well . This stuff is suposedly good to 15 degrees and it is teflon based as well . This was shared with me and i felt obligated to share this with my family here here at the BOC . Thank you Mr. Chudanski (hope thats the correct spelling) my new friend .

2. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thank you for the post! My previous favorite Penn reel was the 209, then I bought me a squidder.
    Yep, I've had fun learning to cast it. Can't say I have an educated thumb, but I can say my thumb knows more today than it knew yesterday! First off....
    Sure, you can slow a squidder down. I've read of folks putting STP in the bearings, magging a squidder with aluminum spool. But any of these methods cut down on distance. I've done all of em, too. I turned the squidder into any other reel by the time I was done. Took some reading, practice, then a light bulb went off in my head (it's dim, gotta pay attention or I never see it!)
    Everyone was saying "thumb the spool, not the line", but every time I tried that, I got a herky-jerky reaction. No birdsnest, but no distance either. Heres what I finally got to work for me.
    Most important.....put the squidder back to how she should be. Clean any grease out of the bearings ( I use WD-40, compressed air to blow out all I can, air dry, then 3-in-1 oil in the blue can 20W oil, a few drops each side.
    I cast left handed, but when I go to cast, my left thumb is pressing on the right side of the spool AND the inside chrome. I rear back, load up the rod, and as I let her go, I don't remove my thumb, I only press or exert force towards the right chome ring only, so my thumb is still sort-a in contact with the spool. Wetting your thumb beforehand helps with this. Once the sinker is in flight ( I've used 2, 3 and 4 oz no-roll sinkers...seems like 3 oz works best, but this depends on the rod you're using) there's that sweet spot when you remove your thumb entirely, and the sinker's flying, you think the thing will never land, it is then you have to remember to replace your thumb when the sinker hits. (When I first got the hang of this, I was so in awe of the cast I forgot to put the brakes on!)
    I really love the squidders! I'm still amazed that this is the same design that came out in the late 30's! Truly a great reel!
    Major oversight, but I forgot to ask what kind of spool you're using. Plastic? Aluminum? Chrome? Both my squidders have the plastic spool with the air fins. The chrome spools are going to be more difficult to cast due to the weight. Haven't tried casting a chrome spool on my squidder, but couldn't get much distance on my jigmaster w/chrome spool.
    Once again, loved your post. Keep sharing. One of the great things about this site, so much information, tips, experience...

3. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    oh, forgot to mention...
    This was just an opinion. You said goal post to goal post casts, and 100 yard casts can't be sneezed at! If you're happy with that, cool! The squidder is capable of more, however. Check out the surfcasting sites, just do a yahoo or google search for squidder and you'll see a few pop up. Now granted, if ya want 150 yards, you're lookin at a 10 or 12 ft rod.
    Oh, and you mentioned you had a dumb thumb. No ya don't, it just doesn't know as much today as it will know tomorrow!

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have "numb thumbs" along with stiffness and numb hands at 62.I am proud of 30 feet when casting any reel.Whatever works for each of us.You never stop learning unless you quit.Best of luck.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.

5. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    For me thats major , i could barely get 30 at first .

6. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It is always wonderful to hear stories such as this and to my ears and heart It make me feel wonderful knowing I am a fisherman...

Thanks for sharing friend,

Paul

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Cathouse I believe that a person should spend their entire life trying to be better at whatever they are doing. You did good in taking in something that was beneficial and then sharing it. If a person does not have this "flow" in their life they will become as a pond that has no flow in or out. They will become stagnant! JMHO

Cheez

8. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hey 505 that would be the plastic spool here also .

9. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Cheez I like the way you think