Something I have all ways wanted to know

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by caneycat, Mar 1, 2008.

1. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    How long after a fish has been caught dose it take for it to start eating again? This is something I have all wondered about.

2. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    That's a good one---would like to know myself:wink:

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I once witnessed a flathead being caught twice in less than 15 minutes. Also I have read on here where a few members have caught blue cats a second time after releasing it in a short period of time.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Dylan,Super Question. Well last summer I was drift fishing for channel cats on Green valley lake here in Iowa and hooked up and as I was reeling the cat in he broke off and when I got the line in it was My knot that had come loose from the hook(My Fault) so I retied and made another drift across the same area as I like to do if i get some action or good hits in a certain area of a lake it sometimes pays to drift that area again as cats are feeding there.Anyway on the next drift in the same area I hooked up again and this time I boated the fish(12 pound channel cat) now in his mouth was the hook that had come undone on the prior drift,and I know it was mine as I use red chrome#4 matsoui Sickle Hooks when Drifting,and there hard to find and and most always I have to special order them because Nobody sells them around these parts.and as I was getting ready to release the fish back into the lake He Puked up a Fresh Bluegill head and that was what I was using on that rod when for bait. so the answer is If there feeding they will keep at it tell there Full.Also thats a Lesson we have to remember to check our line for nicks and our knots often and make sure they are in Good condition,as It could cost You the Fish as it did Me in this instance. Tight lines My Friend,and God Bless,NOW GO Catch that Hog OK. J.D.
    :smile2:

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have heard tell that a trout has a very short term memory and will settle down in 10 or 15 minutes.

I imagine there would be several variables, long fight, pulled from deep water, etc. but I would guess that time frame to be pretty close.

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I once was Fishing for Gills & just for fun I clipped off a small part of the Fins on a couple of them, just to see if I was going to catch them again, because at the time I was wondering about the same thing. Sometime I was catching some of those same Gills in less than 5 minutes.
    :crazy:

7. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    I'm not sure about cats, but I've caught the same bullhead (bait fishing) in less than 2mins.

J.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Can't give an exact time frame, but I can tell you this...and I swear on my life it happened, we had a livewell full of perch for bait. We ran our lines, and tossed the fish in with the bait. Soon after, we noticed that the bait was disappearing fast. A lot of splashing in the livewell too. When we dressed the fish later on, they all had a gut full of perch. I couldn't believe it when it happened, but it did happen. I think if they are hungry, they eat, and nothing else matters.

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    i caught the same channel cat three times in about 45 minutes and this has happened more than once if there hungry they will keep feeding regardless

10. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    A buddy was crappie fishin' and had a few in the basket. The action slowed down, and he dozed off. When he woke up, the bobber had drifted against the basket. Thinking the hook was snagged on the mesh, he pulled it in to find one of the captured crappie had swallowed one last minnow.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Channels. Blues. Flats will repeat feeding if immediately released. When fish are in a feeding mood they will feed until full or bait is no longer available. However if they are removed from the water and placed in tank or livewell then released later they will not feed for some time.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

Very true, Saturday I was fishing and the guy next to me busted hi trout off because he didnt want to use my net. I caught the same fish about 10-15 minutes later with his dry fly in its lips.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ive caught what looked like the exact same gar in 15 min. why? because i dont throw em on the bank,lol.

they hit cause there hungry. have you ever bit your tounge eating a burger. how long is it before you take the next bite? not long.