Something good i found on mistake

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by cbiblis, Dec 1, 2008.

1. cbiblis

cbiblis New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I currently take omega-3 derived from sunflowers for medical purposes. One day i ran off for a day trip about an hour away from home with two buddies. We got there put in, and parked the truck. then started out, We get to a hole and stop to setup. We strung our lines and went for the bait. Guess what, i forgot the baits. My friends where a little flustered, but what do we do? So i went back and banked the boat. I went to the truck to leave, why the guys watched the boat. I felt bad so i thought of ways to keep them occupied while i went for some bait. I thought to myself "what really stinks?" i though about something that i had lingering in my truck. I had some salmon fish oil that i got weeks before that i got because i forgot my internet purchased sunflower oil. Well, i though what the heck and i took the jar over to the guys and told them to give it a try while I'm gone. When i got back they had smiles on there faces. It worked they caught a few channels in the 30-45 minutes i was gone. They took a sock and cut out a few small chunks, hooked em' then put a capsule of fish oil on them and caught fish. Well i guess there could be many applications for this so i thought that i would share. I personally keep some capsules in my trout vest for putting on my spinners.

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    good idea i'll have to try that someday soon

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    ALL right now thats sounds good I will give it a try:0a24::006:

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Now I gotta shop the health food isle for channels? :eek:oooh: :confused2::roll_eyes:

5. cbiblis

cbiblis New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Wal-mart has really cheap ones. the cheaper the fishier.

6. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    You 4 real all I have 2 do is hook on a fish oil cap ?

7. cbiblis

cbiblis New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Well i haven't tried that one. but i don't know why that wouldn't work. I'll try it. I quess they do look like big salmon eggs. Anyhow, What i currently do is use the oil to add scent to my baits. I poke a hole with a hook and squeeze the oil onto a spinner or bait that has lost it's smell. Might give this a try or even add it to one of your homemade baits for added scent.

8. sbirnel

sbirnel New Member

State:
    TX
    ive cut small strips of chamois and soaked them in menhaden oil then put them on a hook as added attractant, with good results...never tried em alone, but use a piece with punch bait or cut bait...might work alone too just never tried it.

9. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    next thing you know we will be putting steroids on the hook. What a fight that would be!!

10. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like something I will have to try.

11. Oldbear

Oldbear Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the tip I'll sure give it a try.

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Thanks for the tip.

I can say without a doubt that it works,,I use salmon fillets cut into lenght-wise 1/2" strips then cut acros leaveing a chunks of cut bait 1 1/2"x 1/2", then fillet the meat off the skin leaving the fatty oily outer red flesh connected to the meat ..bait up and fish.. You will smoke channels on it..:cool2:

I'm going to use the caps mixed into some type of doughball..It should work good when the water gets hot.:wink: