something found on deer

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by nycathunter, Nov 7, 2007.

1. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    my brother in law shot a decent buck a few nights ago i had it hanging in the garage an starting skinning it out when i noticed a big bulged on its back hind leg it was about the size of a softball so i continued to skin around it an cut it off i cut it open an it was full of nasty yellow puss it wasnt from a old wound cause there was no signs of that. anyhow i called the department of conservation they said theyve seen this before but never told me what it was an they would come out an take the deer an give my brother in law a new tag but they would take the rack also. so we opted to throw away the meat an keep the rack. i work for a deer proccesor an have never seen this before the meat was probally ok cooked but who wants to take a chance anyone else seen anything like this??

2. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I found such a thing on the front chest area of a buck. It came off with the hide and left no mark on the meat. If it would have been in the meat I would have been concerned but it was like a water blister in the skin. Vet said maybe it got poked with a sharp stick, antler, steel fence post, etc. He said since there was no mark on the meat not to worry. I ate the whole thing, that was 25 years ago, and I'm still upright and eating with my own teeth. primitive

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Unless there was more than one place like that I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are it was the result of a wound that healed over on the skin but left some foreign object inside that got infected. Just cut around the affected part and eat the rest. I shot a 9 pointer that had something like that and inside the meat I found several buckshot pellets.

4. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I took a kid hunting once & he shot a really nice 8 pointer. When we got him home & started caping him out, right in his brisket area was a pocket of puss like you're talking about. Jeeze, it was nasty. Smelled just like rotted flesh. I was whittling along with my knife (I was a rookie hunter then) and kinda blundered into the pocket. Yuck. I've been more careful since then.

5. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Be glad they gave you the option of turning in the deer for a new permit. Around here once you shot it, it's yours. No if's, and's, or but's about it.

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Primitive, I have processed many deer(100s) the past few years. That "water blister" was from the buck riding does and that is why he had it on his brisket bone. The buck had been in rut and was with does I bet. Vern

7. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    i guess this is more common than i thought:eek:oooh: if it was a old wound i would think there would of been some kinda scarring i was thinking it was some kind of cist or gouider like the ones that dogs get

8. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Vern, that does make sense now that you mentioned it. I sure would have not ever thought of that, learn something every day. Thanks.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    "Brisket Bone"? Now thats a new name for it! Back in my Navy days, I had one of those "water blisters" on....................never mind.

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Coupla reasons for what you have seen. But I like Kutters answer the best. Kutter must have been in the Seabees, always constructing something.

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a scar on my left hand i got from cutting the backstraps out of the smaller buck in my picture. i was running my fingers down close to the spine while butchering when something sharp cut my little finger from top to bottom. it was an old broadhead. there was no outward signs of injury. it had completely healed over. looks like it was a couple years old even. the broads direction of travel indicated someone took a hail mary shot as he was running away. it ran along the spint and stopped right before his neck. some people have no ethics...

12. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i found one too tom ,but i was afraid to tell anyone about it