Something big feeding in LOZ

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Taliesin, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was fishing Thursday night (22nd) and caught a blue cat. Nothing really big, but as the pics show, something had tried to grab him by the tail. Not entirely sure what it might have been but I am thinking the damage looks like something that would happen if a bigger cat was grabbing hold. What do you think?

That is if the pics work.

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thats pretty wild! Never seen anything like it! Thanx for sharein.

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Looks like the LOZ Ness monster is loose again! LOL Seriously, we get a cat similar to that once in awhile here on the Cumberland. But we usually just attribute it to being hit by a Barge Tug, but if you don't have barge traffic there, then that is unusual.

4. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I think it's very possible. A couple of weeks ago I caught a channel cat that was about 4 lbs, and from his dorsal fin back on both sides he felt as though you'd took sandpaper to his skin, and about the back 1/3 of his body was nothing but meat, skin stripped clean. I kinda figured it had to have been a big fish that did that.

5. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    They do get really cut up, broke fins, skint from head to toe during the spawn. Are they still spawning up that way?

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ya know Dan. I thought spawn but that meat really looks mashed in and swollen. HMMMMM!

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Couldn't it be due to the cats just comin off spawn?

8. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Couldn't be from a barge. This is in the tailraces of Truman Dam. One unusual thing here is that Lake of the Ozarks (LOZ) starts right at that dam. I thought of turbine damage or boat damage, but it just doesn't look like that kind of hurt. Not to mention that fish going through the turbines are more often dead than not.

As for spawn, they have been spawning lately, but the damage was mirrored on the other side of the tail like bite marks (I should have taken a pic that showed the other side too).

I did have another thought that would reduce the size of the fish trying to feed on him though. We have a lot of rocks and if all the feeding fish saw was the tail end it may have thought it was scraps from being run through a turbine. A fish feeding on that kind of scrap wouldn't be near as big as a fish trying to feed on the whole thing. It kinda fits with only the very tail being mauled too.

I also thought that a gar might have done it, but no real tooth marks are there, more like a catfish's sandpaper teeth. Possibly a big flattie or blue.

9. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Thats quite a sight. One thought I had:
    I always thought big fish eat little fish head first? So as to not get the dorsal fin caught going down the wrong way.

10. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was trying to keep that in mind too. One reason I thought the rest of the body might have been hidden by rocks or the possibility of gar. What I really think (hope) happened was that this smaller fish got a glimpse of what was about to happen and got away by the skin of his tail.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The 38" northern pike I caught in Canada last week had a *huge* chunk out of the middle of his back from something much larger having a go at him - either a bigger pike or a muskie. Seems to me that those fish will eat anything they can catch.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if catfish behave the same way. And with the spawn just now wrapping up, I'd imagine lots of cats are quite beat up about now.

12. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I think what you have there is simply a fish that was on the wrong end of another fishing trying to get a little tail. :big_smile: OK, that was bad, I'll go to my room.

13. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    could have been a gar, turtle, or snake trying to harass him, although i think a turtle would have taken his tail off. i cant count how many times ive pulled up a stringer to find my cats eaten up to their heads by a turtle, and then agaian i think diodeman said he got a 100+lb alligator gar out of the tailrace rcently, so im sure there are fish big enough to pick on that one.

14. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Must have been one of those "gators"... seriously its not at all uncommon especially after the spawn. I have a video of a Blue about 65lbs with what looks to be around a 35lbers head in his mouth during the spawn. There is a lot of trash in the dam area that can injure a fish as well...not to mention the thousands of old line and hooks up and down the river. He may have been in a hole with a snagging hook or some other object in it. See ya on the water!

15. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I've got pictures of 12+ lb channels chewed up pretty like that during the spawn.

16. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, the bass are hungry down there, and aren't above taking a shot at a catfish dinner. :wink: :wink: :wink:

17. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    If it was on both sides, I would say there is possibility of a larger fish taking a taste test. Or just driving him away when they were spawning. I have a buddy who caught a 33 lb. flathead on a trotline a month ago, it had a 3 pound channel stuck in it's mouth. He had actually ate the channel that had already been caught on the line. He ate it tail first, and was just as you mentioned, stuck on the dorsal fins. Even if it wasn't a bigger fish, still makes you excited thinking about the possibilities of a true hawg.

18. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Danny, Hey brother, I didn't know a catfish had a toe........hu

19. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    my friend caught a 25 pound flathead while we were fishing once and it had about a 3 pound channel in its throght.it might have just been a larger blue or flathead seeing its tail thinking it was a smaller fish and tried to eat it.

20. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    I don't doubt it, they'll take on whatever they can fit in their mouths. Caught a 20 something pound flat a few years back on a trotline. When he was in the boat and I went to remove the hook, I opened his mouth to find an interesting sight . . . about a 3# drum that had apparently taken the real trotline offering and the flattie then munched on him and luckily got hooked in the process. I've found many NICE crappie in flats bellies.