Something Ain't Right

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Katmandeux, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've fished the Deep Fork arm of Lake Eufaula for the last 15 years.

When I started, catches of 12-15 blues were fairly routine, but I've watched things go downhill since then.

There used to be shad by the thousands, carp all over the place, and even if the cats weren't biting, turtles and gar would run me ragged.

All that has changed. I still catch a few cats, but other than that, the lake seems dead.

The trotliners and juggers have abandoned it, too.

I don't know if the rest of the lake has experienced this, or if it's just a localized problem, but in any case, it makes me sad.

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Maybe there is a big ole blue cat in there eating up everything else :wink: Hope things turn around for you there Dave.

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Time changes and maybe telephoners had a fill day and all the fish have disappeared are maybe it's just the changeing of the times

4. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i am by far not a loclaler of that region, but i have heard just the opposite from my partners that fish that area, perhaps your dealing with the nature of the weather and the rise and drops of the water, it has made quite a change up here but, there around, just need to change presentations or areas, who knows

5. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    oh by the way we dropped our gates by about half tody, and the water has slowed way down, but doubt it has made a affect down their yet

6. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Dave, it's been one year today since I've jug fished the Belle Starr inlet at Eufaula Lake, but at that time the catfishing wasn't near as good as previous years!

Maybe it was just me...but the fishing did seem off.

This year I'm staying home.

7. Randy Jones

Randy Jones New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have noticed the same changes in kerr. But our current when it is flooding changes water depths, fills in old creek channels it does all sorts of things. But I have found out through the years fish will move from one favorite place to another, so just move a little ways from your normal places and try that. Sometimes it is not to far from origanal place maybe half mile or less. Then time will pass and turn the origanal spot back in to the hot spot again.

8. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I haven't noticed any drop off in the numbers of catfish at least in the area of eufaula I fish, which is the very South end of the lake, mainly the Gaines Creek area, It's plumb full of blues, channels and flatheads. The area around 31 landing also is full of catfish, especially big 'ol flatheads.

9. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    damn, i guess i should shut up, i must be the stupidest fishermen in the northeastern oklahoma area, haha oh well

10. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    that we have had a strong let off of the water , so slow down on your partrs