Something a little odd.

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by barbel, Aug 8, 2006.

1. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Im having a little trouble deciding what is going on. I fish a creek that runs close to my house, and there are turtles in it. However, when I fish the creek with live bait, a lot of the time I will reel in to find like half of the fish gone. Either it has had its whole back half bitten off (and the poor thing is still alive) or its head was the choice. It is always a clean bite. Now there are turtles, but this is why I ask this question: I never see any surface in this hole, and Im not sure entirely what all fish species live in it. Could this just be a turtle, or is it something like gar?

2. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    it is most likely a turtle, if it were a gar, you would feel them hit. The turtles surfacing is a different thing, they may just be passing through or they may do it while around brush.
    hope this helped.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Usually when I get bait cut clean it is turtles. I never see them surface but I have caught plenty. I think they stay down while hunting in their hole and surface away from it to keep from scaring the fish. Usually when I get into gar there are rows of teeth marks down the fish and sometimes they are cut up but usually not as clean. Set some turtle lines from the bank and see whatcha get! Turtle meat is better than any fish!

4. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've caught my fair share of turtles and thats exactly what it sounds like!

5. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    How exactly is a turtle line made? I've never seen one....

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well I would think it was turtles for any reason other than this: I can see the whole hole (haha) and it is only about 100 feet long, and 30 or so wide. If anything comes up to the surface it will make a ripple at least. I see nothing. So unless we have some turtles with gills would you still say this is the case? And if so how would I catch them to take them out?

7. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    If its clean cut thats def. a turtle bite. I have caught just about every species in my local area now, snapping turtles being the worse of them all. When I catch them in my local lakes and ponds I put them in my cooler and take them to the nearest creek and release them there.

8. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    So youre the one that has been releasing them here :lol: Im joking. I am thinking maybe a stinger hook would work catching them? Smaller, easier for the turtle to get it into his mouth.

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    That sounds like a turtle bite to me.

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Out Of Curiosity, Why Don't You Eat The Turtles ? They Are Delicious:smile2:

11. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    My guess as to why he doesn't would be the same reason I haven't eaten any. I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of where to start. I've read directions but I'd have to see someone else do it before I would even dfare try it for myself!!

12. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with them....I have heard for years that Turtle tastes good, but never seen one cleaned or cooked so I wouldn't even knkow where to begin if I caught one.