Something a little odd on the Wateree.

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by mudfishmusic, Jun 29, 2009.

1. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    While we were riding the Wateree River yesterday, we saw 2 different log jams with big black bloated hog carcuses floating in them. As one would expect they were stinking the place up something fierce. I've seen deer and dogs and such crammed into log jams before and always assumed they were just dead stuff that had been dumped and just washed down. It was a little alarming to see 2 adult hogs like that. All I could picture was some big green bull frog with mouth full of teeth; a bad attitude; and a long, tastey tail storing them away.I didn't get too close but they really didn't look like anything had been gnawing on 'em too much yet thought. It did make swimming a little more interesting.:eek:oooh:

Anyone got any ideas?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That is a little unusual, unless someone shot them. They are good swimmers, normally, but there's been a lot of high water up that way. I see herds of hogs fairly often near some of the sand bars along CSNP. I rescued a small raccoon up that way a couple weeks back that was being carried downstream by the current, he was almost drowned when I spotted him, retrieved and placed him on a willow limb close to the shoreline. Hopefully he made it from there. There's all kinds of stuff floats down the river when it falls.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sounds to me like someone shot them and left them. They have been doing enormous amounts of damage to farmer's crops, and a lot of 'em have been getting shot. As Tommy said, hogs swim VERY well. A few weeks back I saw four pigs swimming the river, and they were makin' good time.

Bill in SC

4. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina

Yeah, that's all I can figure too. It is kind of fun letting your imagination run with something a little different though.

I grew up here and we didn't always have all the feral hogs we have now. It's neat to see the changes in wildlife but they do bring new issues. The hogs, coyotes, armadillos and and such are extremely interesting but there is no telling what effect they will eventually have. They can definately be a problem but I hate the idea of just killing anything and leaving it in the river. It's and eye and nose sore and could surely be put to some better use.:embarassed:

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Feral hogs have an extremely detrimental impact on the environment and the foods that other species such as turkey and deer use. On top of that they cause untold damage to farmers fields and crops. The are prolific breeders with almost no natural enemies, and they can quickly ruin an area. I would strongly advise anyone to eliminate as many as possible if they can, and never introduce them to an area. They are almost impossible to get rid of.

6. honest doug

honest doug New Member

State:
    south carolina
    LOOKS LIKE A GOOD HOG IN YOUR HANDS