Someone was looking- Make A Pond Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by zappaf19, Jan 22, 2006.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Someone was looking for pixs on how I made my pond boat. I can't rember who.
    Hope these help.
    Bill

Attached Files:

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    That is quite ingenious Bill I wish I had one!!!

SWEET!!!

3. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    JW for the right price I bet he would build ya one.lol

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Bill, I've always wanted to build one of those. That is a good looking toon. You ought to write an article on how ya did it and post 'er on the board.

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I would love to have one of those also! Would like to hear how you built it!

6. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Yeah that is awesome and 100% what Ive been looking for

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Tools needed. Welder, air ratchet, drill, wrenches, bolts, pipe threader, saw and 12 pack MGD BEER
    The toons are 13' long and I got them out of a farmers field for 50$. One toon had a hole so I took it to work and tigged it. To check for leaks I used a air compressor and pressured the toons and put soapy water on the patch and looked for bubbles. Like you would a tire. I then found scrap flat steel (free) and stick welded a transom together. Bolted that on to the frame. For a deck I was going to use treated plywood but the price is staggering! So what I used was semi trailer siding. 8X10. That was 10$ I bolted the deck to the frame. Got 2 battery boxs 20$. One in front for storage and one in back for the battery. Used a sawal for cutting holes in the deck for the boxs. Then after putting carpet on I used a razor knife to cut holes for boxs. Front box is held up by the handles on the box. Rear box has a steel brace to hold it up. (I droped a battery in and it snapped the handles off and it hit the trailer floor. OOPS Thats when the brace went on. Wife got me indoor outdoor carpet from town. 12$ 1 can of glue from Ace 6$. Paint brush for glue 1.00$ Glued the carpet on.
    Seats are made out of pipe (scrap) bar stools and swivels (free) 2 7"X7" flat steel for base 4$. Welded pipes to plates. 4 bolts for each plate to hold to deck. I used a center punch to put a hole in the carpet before drilling. This kept the carpet from unraveling While I was drilling holes. Painted the hard wear for seats 4.59$ for black paint. Mounted to deck.
    This part was done in one day.
    Rails took 2 days.I was not going to put rails on but wife demand them. I do feel safer with them. (wife has never been on it LOL) Gal. pipe and fittings were 102$ 1/2". OUCH! I had a friend help me hand thread the pipe.(that sucked) As we started making the rails we ran into a problem. We realized that we could not thread all the pieces together. (I think the beer was kicking in.) Soooooo we ground down the ends of the pipes so they would slip into the fittings. When we got it all put together and bolted down we hosed down the deck and covered with cardbaord and I migged the ground pieces into the rails. Yes I do have burn holes iin the carpet. (that really made me mad) One trolling motor e bay 80$.
    I was really surpise how fast it goes with the trolling motor! It is very stable. We can walk around. As you can see it was a cheap boat to make. I also used PVC for rod holders hosed clamped them to the rail.
    Mistakes I made:
    Putting carpet on before I was completly done.
    Not thinking the rails thru before starting to put them on.
    I have put 2 more braces on the transom so it can hold a gas motor. (again wife thinks I am going to die)
    Wood for transom, I use treated scaps but have since changed to semi trailer flooring wood.
    Hope I did not bore you but thats the way it was put together!
    There is no #s on it so it only goes on private ponds. For public lakes I use my old Ranger bass boat.
    If you have any questions let me know
    Bill

Attached Files:

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Nice toon, did you fill your pontoons with foam? O r are they chambered?

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Bill, this is gonna go to the library. Thanks for sharing your creation with us.

10. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    darn good looking boat great job on it.

11. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I can't really say if they are chambered or not. I know there is no foam in them.
    Like I said got them out of a field. If I sring another leak I will find the hole and tig. Then fill with foam.
    Bill

12. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Thats excelent! Thanks for the great discription!

13. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    nice boat, i have always favored flat bottom john boats, but since i have discovered bowfishing for carp i been leaning toward a smal pontoon, yours would be about perfect, how much you figure it weighs? figure what the hp rating would be?

14. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Thanks Bill, the info is great.

15. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I figure 200lbs. The deck weight is alot. For bow hunting I would use mesh steel for the deck. I thought about that for a deck but dropping stuff like sinks would fall thru the mesh. 2 people can put it up off the ground useing the front wintch. As far as getting it in and out of the water it's a breeze.
    With my trolling motor it scoots. I was thinking about a 1.5 to a 3ph. A friend has a 3 I want to try on it. I belive that a 3 might be to big. Thing would fly!:thumbsup:
    Bill:)

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Realy nice!peewee-williams

17. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    if it scoots with a trolling motor then it should fly with a 5 hp outboard, thats definantly what i need

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    nice toon bill! ill have to check it out this summer,if you dont mind.

19. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Your more than welcome to check it out bring a pole.
    Bill:)