Somebody Poisoned The Catfishing Hole!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Catmaster, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    In one of the ponds that I fish the water is getting so low that the channel are starting to die. I usually try to pull out the dead ones. I was wondering if u left the dead fish in there will it poison the water in any way and kill more fish?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Not really sure. I would think that if its a small pond that decomposeing flesh of any good ammount would not be good. I think you are doin the rite thing by gettin out the dead ones.

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I have to agree with George on this one.

4. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    well i have seen catfish eating other cat fish but not if there is that many fish dieing.. you are doing the right by removing the dead ones.

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    IMO I wouldn't bother trying to take out dead fish. Nothing in nature is really wasted. The turtles, crawdads and other fish will have a happy day and full bellies eating any dead fish. There's no poision in a catfish so there's no reason another fish would be harmed by a few dead fish in the water.

6. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Catmaster, as the dead fish decompose, they reduce the amount of oxygen in the water. In water that is critically low already, I would say removing the dead fish is a good idea.
    Rat

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    That is sad! I agree removing the from the water is a good idea of there are that many!

8. augila

augila New Member

State:
    Texas
    what Rat said. Decaying matter will reduce the O2 content of the water

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think ur pond is getting low on oxgen! u need to get them dead cats out of the water before they make the rest bad.

10. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    I know what happens when ya leave a dead fish or 2 in a fish trank!

Nasty nasty NASTY

They need to rewrite them directions on the fish food.Feed several times a day.........is that not 7?

a couple is 2 a few is 3-4 several is 7

whats a few for if several is more than 2

mind boggling

Sorry,lol
    lost a few fish from overfeeding,its prolly best to remove the dead fish if there is alot of em fer sure.

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I would remove the dead ones as soon as possible and get a pump of some sort and start recirculating the water before they all die.
    If you know someone that has a 2" gas pump or (if available) electric one, whatevver it takes to get the water moving to increase the oxygen levels. If you do it this way be sure totie the suction end to a couple of jugs to hold it about 2' from the surface and the discharge end needs to spray out into the pond to disrupt the suface enough to oxygenate the water. I have seen this work in ponds before and this is one of the only ways to stop what is happening. It all depends on how far you are willing to go with it.

Good Luck with it!!