Some trophy blue fighting tips.

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by bluehunter, Sep 3, 2009.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I write quite a few editorial and I thought I would share a good one with yall since we have some trophy blue quest entusiasts here. All of these methods been tried and tested by me and experienced so if you keep these things in mind it should help ya. Hope this can help you. Always willing to contribute and share the knowledge. If you have any tips to add than by all means do so.

B

Trophy blue season is fast approaching ( Fall thru winter) and it is about that time to get ready. Many people may actually hook a giant blue, but only a few will actually land one. There are many different reasons to this:

1. Not the right gear - too light of line,reel, pole, etc.
    2. Too small of a hook - bend hook, broken hook, not hooked in mouth deep enough causing a spit hookup.
    3. Loosing fish to faulty knots.
    4. Bad line, frizzled, not changing line in a while.
    5. Not a good drag set on reel.
    6. Letting fish run with no resistance from you the angler.
    7. Running into anchor line.
    8. Getting caught in snags - rocks, trees, etc.
    9. Buried hook in bait causing not a good hook set.
    10. Crossing lines.
    11. Not a big enough net.

There are a few more reasons why people lose big fish, but I pretty much gave the top 11 reasons, and all of the reasons I have experienced before once or twice. I have lost way more big blues than I have caught. The loses was turned into a learning lesson. Soon after I evaluated what went wrong in my head and what could have been done better, I made a mental note to myself to not let that scenario happen again and I played the scenario over again in my head. When those same situations came up again - which it did and will -I was able to react better and do something different or the opposite of what I did before and was able to land that big trophy blue. So when you going after that trophy blue at your local river, lake, or reservoir, follow some of these simple steps when adversity comes at you when you are fighting that fish.

1. Use ready gear for trophy blues. You will not always be lucky using a barble pole and 8 pound test. Use medium to heavy action rods. A reel with good line capacity. Plus line that is formatted for what you are fishing in gear and in water- open water, rocks, snaggs. The more structure, the heavier the line.

2. Use a big enough hook - 6/0 to 8/0 at least. You want to have enough hook to penetrate that tough mouth of the big blue cat. They will not always swallow the hook, and a small hook during a good fight in a trophies mouth can pop right out flying past your head. It happen to me before.

3. Tie a good strong knot. The polomar knot , trilence, or any other tough durable knot you know, tie it. Lots of lost big ones come because of knot strength and is highly avoidable if we take the time to do it right.

4. Change that line often. Especially when fishing snaggs and structure as line can become damages. Plus the normal wear and tear of the line can result in a lot of memory to the line.

5. Check that drag. You do not want it too tight. Too tight can snap a line, bend a hook, or yank that hook out of the fishes mouth. You want some resistance, but not too tight and definitely not too lose as a loose drag can cause a fish to drop the bait if tension is not constantly applied.

6. Don't just let that blue run with no resistance. You want that head facing facing towards you, not the head facing away from you. If the heads facing away from you he will find some where to snap you of at or run into.

7. Watch that anchor rope. Make sure your anchor is at an arched wing presentation. If your anchore is straight up and down that can mean trouble and he will wrap you up. keeping rope at an angle will give you more room to manuever around the rope If the fish is destined to run in the direction of the rope and you have a partner with you, have the partner pull in the rope immediately. If you are by yourself tighten up the grip and turn that head away from the rope. A lot of times enough pressure will turn that head.

8. Try to avoid the fish running into snaggs if you can. Keeping pressure on the fish helps eliminate that if the head is facing you.

9. Make sure you have enough of the hook exposed with the barb present. You dont know how many times I reeled in my bait with the hook buried in the bait smashed in. Sometimes big blues will just smash your bait and you want to be able to get a good set if that happenes.

10. Watch out for other lines, bring them in if necessary if you have a partner. Crossed lines can make for trouble. Keep a knife handy if by yourself and cut that extra line if needed.

11. Have a big enough net. I heard many stories of people losing big fish because they had a panfish net or trout net. If you are serious about catfishing you need to be serious about the net that you use as well. Use a big enough net that maybe your child can fit into or maybe even yourself. There are some giants out there. And the giants will require a giant net. Hope this helps and good fishing to you in your trophy hunt.

Brian Bluehunter Cummings.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian thanks for sharing some great info. Reps.

3. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Great info, reps to ya.

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :big_smile: great info indeed !!!!!

thanks for the time to write this much appr !!!!!!

well done ..:wink: reps sent to ya ..

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good info. Thanks for sharing.:0a31:

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Brian thanks for sharing