some times you just have to change tactics

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by flathunter, Jul 5, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wont name the place but this is about a spillway here in Ohio.

Several years ago while catching bait in a local spillway I witnessed a guy pull in 3 flatheads over 40-lbs, this was broad day light and he was using nightcrawlers, half night crawlers.

So I hurried home and got my cat rods, I threw out my net and got some live shad and baited up, I used live shad and cut shad..I got no hits.

I n that time I saw seceral other flatheads caught, no 40's but nice fish, they all came on night crawlers.

At that time the shad, were so thick in this spillway you could fill a 5 gallon bucket with one throw..Other live bait , gills, carp you name it were abundent. they would not touch them.

My son just stopped over this evening he just got back from this spillway.
    He had a pic on his cell phne he took today of a guy with 3 flats on a rope, weight of the 3 fish was 110-lbs...and he said the guy caught them on pieces of night crawlers.

When I get healed up I am gonna get me some worms!!!!!

2. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Yea I would definatly do that. I dont think Ive ever tryed a half of night crawler. I always use 2 or 3. lol. Thanks for the post and a little tip!

3. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    About a year ago my wife and I were trying to catch a few channel cats and all she caught were small flatheads and we were using worms. Go figure.

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    lmao.don't ya love when someone can do that and make it look so simple.

5. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Maybe i need to stick to crawlers then. They are alot easier get than shad is here.

6. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    my uncle is obssed wit these things called glow worms. they are night crawlers that are lime green
    :eek:oooh:

7. wildcatter

wildcatter New Member

State:
    Irvington, Ky
    I caught a 18# Bue in the Cape fear river in NC in 1998 using half a night crawler. Strange how some things happen..

8. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Up here on the Maumee River a lot of guys do really well with crawlers for flatheads. I have not tried them yet, for fear of catching something I'd rather not hook into (i.e. sheepshead), but I may need to try them out of sheer necessity.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wow! 3 fish for 110 pounds! Thats a night to remember! My profile picture is a night we caught 5 for 107 pounds including them two big boys in a tournament! Nights like that just don't happen often, or maybe they would if I would go get some more crawlers and try them:wink: good post jack, and i do agree with you on a serious note. They are finicky feeders at times, and you have to have it all right to get them to bite!!!! rollo

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is an amazing story, I wish I could have witnessed it for myself................well really i wish it were my fish! Thanks for sharing this story

11. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    the one in my avatar was caught on a nite crawler and the nite i got it i was also using goldfish and creek chubs

12. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    My family has caught a lot of big flats off nightcrawlers. Up to 60 pounds. I think it is the technique they use more than the nightcrawlers though. The way they do it really only works in lakes though, and I only fish rivers. I've been thinking forever for a way to get it to work in the river. I'll keep thinking I guess.

13. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    THANKS FOR SHARING ! SOUNDS LIKE ANOTHER PATTERN THAT DOESN'T FIT THE MOLD. GET SOME CRAWLERS AND GET SOME FLATTY'S!!!!!!

14. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I'm not the catter I'd like tobe...yet! It all comes down to when where n how in my not to humbe opinion. Based on that each good spot needs tobe learned. Again this is just an OPINION.

TY fer the INFO FLAT!!!!!!!

:roll_eyes: