Some thoughts?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by billyum2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    I had the fever to get a line wet the other day and was sitting there on the bank thinking about the big ones.

I fish areas that I,m sure hold some large catfish but only come up with 8-10 lb ones once in a while.

I came to the conclusion that the reason I don't catch many bigger fish is because I get bored easily and use anything for bait to get the bites and don't sit more than a couple three hrs. at one spot.

Witch brings the question to mind,when fishing for the bigger fish do you use the bigger baits exclusively to avoid catching smaller fish so as to not disturb the area till the larger fish come around?

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Bill, I use large bait most of the time for blue cats and Flatheads, smaller cats will pick on the bait but can't really take it. If I am fishing for channel cats I down size the bait to fit what is biting.

3. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Good post Bill I'm guilty of the same thing most of the time.The only exception is when the fish go on one of those rare feeding sprees where they're hitting anything that hits the water.Doesnt happen often but when it does I put on the biggest bait I can find.

4. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I think another thing against me as I get older I dont like fishing at night and generally quit shortly after dark,just before they start biting,lol.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    My first piece of advice is to take something that will allow you to have more patience. A comfortable chair, a book, whatever floats your boat.:smile2: It goes a long way when waiting for the big one.
    I mostly fish for flatheads and I dont believe the big bait big fish theory. I do believe that HUGE baits will usually keep the little ones off, but I have caught some tiny flatheads on some big baits. Most of my bigger flatheads have came on perch 4 inches or less.
    My opinion is that if you are fishing an area where you know big fish live it doesnt matter.
    If you are stuck fishin in one area then I would use the bigger bait to help call in those cats.

6. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    I think in the springtime large baits aren't nessesary in fact I use alot smaller hook too but in the summer after the spawn. I think big is the only way to go. I fish for blues and channels only but my baits are 5 to 8 inches long which I guess aren't huge but alot bigger than the 2 to 3 inch baits that I use in the spring. My bigger baits I am usually drifting with so that is why I like to go bigger it leaves a better scent trail and the fish can find it easier.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    IMO, the main benefit to using a really big live bait is that it will cut down on problems with gar and turtles. Absent those problems, catching a few smaller catfish can keep you entertained enough to stay there another hour or two waiting for a big one.

My advice, use 4-5 inch live sunfish, and just take whatever comes. Experiment with a big bait here and there, but don't use big baits exclusively.

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    You could use a large bait on one pole and then use regular size bait on another. This way you are still catching fish on one pole while you are waiting for the big one to hit the big bait on the other pole. You could get a 3 pole permit and mix and match also. If I have big shad I will usually have one pole out with an extra large chunk on it.

9. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I pretty much do as Jay suggested. Put out one with a monster bait, then mix it up on the other two. If I'm fishn close to the truck or on the boat, I'll usually fire up a little LP gas grill, and fix up some Brats or something just to help pass the time.

10. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    I guess I was thinking wrong that catching smaller fish would spook the larger ones then--:crazy:

I did get the third pole permit and will probably be having one with larger baitfish/chunks.

I just got a couple larger reels and rods and will be trying a little bit harder for the bigger fish.

Thanks for the responses guys .

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep i was going to suggest like jay and ray did. I get the third pole permit and toss some big baits out in the good spots with two poles then put a worm or small cut bait on the third out in a likely spot to get the action bite.

12. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    If live sunfish aren't bringing in anything for you, try switching up baits to
    a bullhead or a carp around 8-10 in. Trim a fin or two so that it has trouble
    keeping upright and has to keep struggling periodically. Put cut bait on the
    other rig you have out. Perhaps a bit of chum would set the mood for the
    cats loafing around? Throw a pound of chicken livers out there to wake
    up the fellows. Something about those proteins in the water is like a
    wail siren to catfish. There's always something that can be done to bring
    them in and set the site up to favor you catching something.

13. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    ill throw on a 3-4'' gill and a sand toad on seperate poles and on the 3rd one i usually use cut bait. ill fish all these realitivly close to me and keep in mind i use circle hooks so the fish sets the hook and then ill usually sit in my chair and fall asleep. passes the time and i ususally got a buddy to hollar at me when a fish is on. if i aint sleeping wihle fishing im usually running limblines, catching bait, playing with the fire, or eating and drinking. just something to keep me from getting bored.

14. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Donnie I just cant see you getting bored..:smile2:

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil

16. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    The Cats we caught just before the coldfront hit the other day, were all hitting smaller baits. I tried fishing with the entire shadgut and a whole shad.
    We never got bit. Started using about half or less of the gut pocket and the middle section of a couple inch shad and started catching. Biggest was only the 6lb Blue, a a bunch of 2 to 4 lb Channels. I've noticed this in years past, at least on Milford, when the waters still cold, they just seem to prefer the smaller baits, even the bigger fish. Just seems like right now when the waters still cold, they just don't have an appetite for any thing very big.
    Jerald caught some Channels on punch bait.
    In the summer, I have to agree with what others just said, a bigger bait for bigger Cats that the littles ones can't get.

17. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    haha tom yea...i guess if i get to bored i walk down the river...then when i get a course set out i go get in my truck and drive down or up river...on the sand of course.