Some questions!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Old Bill, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    OK, at the risk of sounding real stupid...:tounge_out:

Do we have Chub Minnows in Oklahoma?

And, do we have Rock bass or perch in Oklahoma? Is a Red Ear perch about the same?

Thanks,

Bill

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    SORRY, CANT HELP YOU THERE:tounge_out:

3. Feeding Frenzy

Feeding Frenzy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Don't know about the minnows, But I've always herd perch!
    Guy's I've fished with from Texas called them rock bass so not a stupid Question but maybe a slopy answer.
    :wink:

4. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    haha not to much help for ya on my end as far as minnows but id say yes to the perch

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Bill, that is a loaded question.

#1 chub minnows, I don't know

#2 Rock Bass or perch
    Well, I don't know what a rock bass is, we've always called getting hung up on rocks catching a rock bass. :roll_eyes:
    Perch on the other hand, YES, there are perch in Oklahoma. White perch are migrating south from Kansas into Oklahoma. What people generally call a perch, are in fact members of the Bluegill family

6. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I used to have some Bluegill in a small pond in my back yard. We also used to have some "perch" with a red spot where the Bluegill has a blue or black spot.

I've been reading some posts by different guys where they wrote they were using "Chubs" and "Rock bass" for catfish bait. I googled both names and read that Chubs were a type of minnow and the Rock bass were a type of perch.

I'd never heard of Chubs or Rock bass and was wondering if OK had any swimming around...or at bait shops? What is the difference between a White Perch and a Bluegill?

My pond dried up in 2006, and what fish was there died. It now is full once again, so this Spring I will be requesting some Channel cats, Bluegills, and Large Mouth Bass form the OK Dept. of Wildlife.

Best wishes,

Bill

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'm sorry, bluegills are a member of the sunfish family. The ones with red are probably Redear Sunfish (Lepomis microlophus) often called Shellcracker, cherry gill, Georgia bream and sun perch is an anglers delight. The color of the redear may range dark olive on top to an almost white belly. The species most distinct characteristic is the opercle (ear) flap of the fish. Males support a red color flap with females presenting an orange flap.

8. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Tony!

Bill

9. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    chubs i think are the same as we have here in the creeks here in this part of the state , i think what you are calling chubs are minnows with a big head, differnt than the minnows that are found in the bait shops. reds ears are stocked in a lot of the small flood control lakes built around here in the 60`s. stilwell lake has a lot of red ears, its west of stilwell on the north end of big sallisaw creek, its open to the public . they allow boats but no gas engines

10. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    that brings me to a question, in some of my surrounding creeks , we have those mudpuppy's so what are those? and has anyone ever used them for bait???

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    there are servarl kinds of chub minnows.and yes i dont know bout all of ok but in the mountains along the ar border ok has chubs.
    mudpuppys are a larval stage of the tiger salamander.when they mature they lose their gills and move onto dry land.while they have their gills they are good baits and will catch most all fish that are big enough to swallow them.

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We do have chubs in creeks here. As far as perch, what we refer to is normally the red ear or blue gill(brim).

As far as the rock bass goes, people from texas and back east refer to the little critters that look like a cross between a blue gill and a spotted bass as rock bass. That's what my dad always called them. They look kinda like a blue gill but have a longer body. Alot of times they'll also have red eyes. I've caught them mostly in creeks and small rivers but have been seeing them more in lakes the last decade or so.

13. FishOnChuck

FishOnChuck New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There are about 9 species of chubs in Oklahoma. Most are of the genus Hybopsis or Nocomis. They include the speckled, big eye, flathead, silver, gravel, redspot, creek, shoal, and prairie chubs. Some are fairly widespread throughout the state while others are fairly limited in range.

The true rock bass (Ambloplites rupestris) does exist in Oklahoma and is pretty much limited to NE Oklahoma -- mostly in the Illinois River basin.

As far as "perch", as others have noted here, most species that are commonly referred to as perch are actually members of the sunfish family (bluegill sunfish, long-eared sunfish, green sunfish, etc) and not true "perches". True perches (family Percidae) include a number of species that exist in Oklahoma (around 36 or so). Probably the most well-known of the true perches are walleye and sauger (and the saugeye hybrid). They also include the pirate perch, yellow perch, and white perch (an introduced exotic). The rest of the OK perches include quite a number (30 or so) of darters, small fish that generally inhabit rocky streams and are members of the perch family. The logperch is also a member of this family of fishes.

Probably much more than you wanted to know.

14. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Steven is correct on all topics

15. okiejc

okiejc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There are several different "perch" that I know of in Oklahoma, and probably more that that. The blue gill. The red ear and the green sunfish. They are all sunfish. We just call them perch. I don't know if there are any yellow perch in oklahoma. Oops. didn't read the post before.

16. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bill,
    The Red-Ear Sunfish also called shell crackers ( because they eat snails) are a great little fish and fun to catch. They sort of do a circling thing while you are reeling them in. The male in its spring mating colors looks like a black crappie with a bright red ear. Real good to eat also. The MIssouri Conv. Dept. has stocked them in alot of the smaller lakes in MO. I catch them on small worms when they are spawning.