Some questions for South Carolina fishermen.

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by takeaction, Sep 27, 2008.

1. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Just some questions I have come up with lately, while reading on the BoC... I am really loving this place! These questions are for the SC fishermen, so PLEASE don't take offense of me singling out the SC fishermen, because it has to do with the SC laws.

First question... It says that the DAILY creel limit on bream is 30... I understand this... but, how many can you have in your freezer at one time? The reason for this question is because of question #2...

Second question... My granddaughter LOVES catching the bream... Plain and simple, she loves it... Now for the question. I notice that Pop Pop and CatmanSC fish lake greenwood a LOT, and a couple other people that I can't remember the names of right at the moment. Is it lawful to give them (or anyone else) a batch of bream for them to use as cutbait, or do they have to catch the bream themselves? It wouldn't be moving them from one body of water to another, because we would be getting them from the saluda river, which is a feeder river for the lake, with no dams in between, so it's the same water, and that part is avoided... Would I have to fill out paperwork saying that I GIVE these bream to them for them to use as bait? That would be no problem, obviously... I just don't see anything about this in the game regs book... We only live a few short minutes from lake greenwood, so if I knew they were going fishing on a particular day, and my back allowed it, I could go catch a mess of bream with the granddaughter, and then we could drive down and let whoever have some free bait?:smile2:

I'm sure more questions will come as I read more and more on the BoC every day.

As a side note, the giving bait to people would only be on a limited basis... As much as I and the granddaughter love to fish together, I will NOT allow our fishing to hurt the supply of fish in an area, so this would not be a daily thing. I"m just wondering is all. Just thoughts in my head that I can't find answers to in the regs book.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...how many can you have in your freezer at one time....."

Depends how big the freezer is!!!! :tounge_out: You can have all you want in your freezer.

"....Is it lawful to give them (or anyone else) a batch of bream for them to use as cutbait, or do they have to catch the bream themselves..."

No, they do not have to catch the bream, and yes you can give them to someone to use as bait.

3. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Thank you Wylie for your very fast, and informative answer. I really appreciate it.:smile2:

In my original post (I still can't edit for some reason), I said CatmanSC... I have to apologize as I got the name wrong, it's PatmanSC (stupid medications!) and pop pop that fish it together a lot.

Sorry PatmanSC.:sad2:

As a side note, anyone know why I can't edit anything anymore? I was able to when I first started, but now I can't anymore. I have a post that I made while I was on my heavy meds, and made horrible typos. Would like to correct it, but can't.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You can only edit a post the first seven or eight minutes after it is posted. After eight minutes, it is not editable.
    Bill in SC

5. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....anyone know why I can't edit anything anymore...."

Bill is right. You only about about five minutes to edit something after you write it.

6. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Wayne, Pat and I appreciate the the offer for bait and thinking of us.:wink: Thats very kind of you. Don't worry about spelling Pat's name wrong, as he'll get a kick out of it. He's is truly a great person.

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think the only issue you would have to be careful of would be the possession limit. No one can be in possession of more than 30 (per person), so you couldn't bring a bunch down to the lake to hand off...

As for ones in the freezer, I don't know the law, but I seriously doubt that the DNR officers are going to come to your house and check!

8. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....As for ones in the freezer, I don't know the law, but I seriously doubt that the DNR officers are going to come to your house and check!...."

Those fish are considered processed once in the freezer and no longer part of the creel limit, so you can have hundreds, thousands, millions, gazillions...a lot. :crazy:

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    OK, so I am in violation if I have 100 bream in a bait tank at home? Or, is that 30 for me, 30 for my wife, 30 for the grandkids, 30 for the dogs... BTW: I DON'T have but 25 or 30 at present! :big_smile:
    Bill in SC

10. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm getting a headache now:tounge_out: I have a bunch of minners (36 or 37) in my tank

that is a most interesting avatar there takeaction--whatchadoin if you don't mind my asking in the picture

11. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Rodger,That is Wayne doing a great deed!:big_smile: He is picking trash off of a log jam habitat in the Saluda river.:wink: His two bags and mine and Pat's trash we've picked up this year make about four bags of trash off Greenwood and Saluda River.:big_smile:.

12. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    As pop pop said, that is me cleaning up trash in the river. We (my son, wife and I) cleaned up that log jam without damaging it at all. You can read about it here http://www.smithfarming.com/saludaclean/sept192008/index.html if you would like. It seems every time we go, we find more to clean up. People just don't care anymore. I makes me sick. We will keep cleaning it as long as we are fishing it. :big_smile:

The black thing that looks like suspenders is my back brace.

13. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I don't know what to say except--You da man!! that is awesome