Some people just rub you the wrong way

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by centexcop, Feb 17, 2009.

1. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I had the day off for Presidents Day and decided that I could fish for several hours and still get some things done around the house. Since I wasn't going to be out too long I decided I'd do a little bank fishing instead of putting the boat in the water. I went to one of my secluded spots that not too many people go to. I had been fishing for a couple of hours and had caught a few channel cats and one small blue. It was turning out to be a good afternoon. There was a kayak in the river and he was very quiet and not disruptive at all. He waved and then came over and we talked for a few seconds. He went on about his fishing and I did mine.

Then........ This older gentleman drove up and walked down the hill where I was. He spoke, I spoke and he walked about 20 yards up the shore. He saw the man in the kayak, which was about 100 yards from us, and yelled out to him. He was trying to carry on a screaming conversation about if the fish were biting and how it's nice to get out of the house. The man in the kayak humored him for a moment or two and then paddled downstream. So then he yelled over at me that he must have been stuck up or something. I said that maybe he was just trying to enjoy some quiet time and then mentioned something about catfish not liking a lot of noise. He got louder. He said that he wasn't fishing for catfish, he was fishing for bass and noise didn't make a difference. I smiled and wet about my fishing, thinking that he would go about his.

I had four lines in the water and had them in my rod holders on the front of my truck. He asked if I was fishing on the bottom and I replied that I was. He started casting right over the top of where my lines were and said he wouldn't snag any of my lines. He was just plain inconsiderate and it rubbed me the wrong way. I fished for a little longer and left. I was nice though and wished him goodluck as I got in my truck and left.

If I go to an area where someone is already fishing, I ask them If they mind if I fish near the area, but I try to set up away from them as not to be an inconvienence. I'm considerate of where their lines are and don't try to make a cast right beside them. I try to be as quiet as I can as not to disturbe the other fisherman.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Joey,
    There is a LOT of stupid in this world and no matter how hard you try you can't fix stupid...W

3. centexcop

State:
    Texas
  4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I hate that too:confused2: To me, there is a invisable barrier that us sportsmen consider when we come up on eachother. It is all about being polite and having some consideration to our fellow outdoors men. I know i would of said something, especially casting over me:confused2:

5. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Oh I thought about saying something. :eek:oooh: But then I thought well maybe he just doesn't know any better and didn't see anything wrong with what he was doing. Rather than getting into an argument, I just blew it off and let him have the spot to himself. I've got other places that I can go.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Your probably right. To say something could have caused an arguement. :wink:
    Those damn bass fishermen. :confused2:

7. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    I'm not against a good argument, but I figured what was the point. I'd get mad, he'd get mad. I might as well leave and let him enjoy himself. It was clear that I wasn't going to enjoy myself there anymore.

8. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I hate to say this, but I think most of these people live here in California where I fish. Yes, I even have trouble with the Kayaks.
    When I first started fishing here, on the way to where ever I planed on fishing that day I would be thinking, "I wonder how many fish I will catch today, how big will they be." Now, instead, I'm thinking " I wonder who the JERK will be today that will give me trouble. I could write a book about the RUDE JERKS in my area.

9. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    I've often thought about printing up a small fact sheet about fishing etiquette and as i'm about to leave a spot, due to a rude intruder, putting it underneath his windshield.

10. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    :smile2::smile2: GOOD IDEA JOEY, but maybe they can't read either.

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    If you have to explain, they won't understand...W

12. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Can't read, and can't understand..... I guess everyone can't be like us!

13. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Props, bro...you were waaay cooler than I woulda been. Gotta work on my Zen...:roll_eyes:

14. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    A few years back, I wouldn't have been as nice.... A good friend of mine once said to ask yourself, "how is this going to look in the newspaper"... I TRY to stop and think now. It doesn't always work, but I do try.

15. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Now of course that wouldn't have ended up in the newspaper...lol It's more related to my job but I think about it when i'm doing other things.

16. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I've had the same trouble with people who were taking up more room to fish than what they needed. Positively no room for anyone else. They can't catch nothing, but walks away with the most fish!:angry:

17. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    It's a shame that there's not a fishing test given before they can obtain a license...:eek:oooh:

18. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    How big was he?:wink:

Unfortunately it is usually better to just bite your tongue and move on.

19. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    He wasn't that big....:eek:oooh:

20. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Some people just dont care about other people when fishing. I've had run ins with plenty of idiots in my time. One time while I was fishing in a boat many years ago, I was tied off to the bank and catching white bass on almost every cast. A boat off in the distance, saw me catching lots of fish with my buddy who was with me in my boat. These two guys in the other boat came over several hundred yards and started casting right at the front of my boat. They threw out their anchor and sat just a few feet away from us. They sat right where we had been casting. After they made their first cast, they hung my rope. I was polite and got it un hooked. After several more casts, they hung my rope again! The other guy with him, thought it was funny. I didn't! The guy said hey buddy could you help me out there. I said yeah ...I'll help you out all right. I took my clippers and cut his line right in front of him. I let his jigs drop in the water too. He cussed at me and I whipped out my knife and said I think maybe you best be moving on now pops before you bite off more than you can chew. It went on for a few more minutes,then my buddy picked up a big rock from the bank and through it at the bow of their boat. He said the next one wont miss. They left! I have many more stories to tell, but maybe later:wink: