some people are just cheap

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Dec 28, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i had a friend years ago who would go 4-5 years without changing his mono.

he fished for flatheads with 30-lb big game.

he left his rods and reels in the back of his truck all summer with the sun beating dowm on the line.

very seldom he landed a fish, the line would usually snap on the hookset.

i got so mad i quit fishing with him, because the thoughts of all those lost fish swimming around with hooks in there mouths, dragging yds of line was more than i could take/

when somone does that i dont think they really care about the sport

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats crazy, change the line ! Then keep it out of the sun.:crazy:

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Equipment maintenance is very important. Perhaps he just needs some educating.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    'nuff said Jack...W

5. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I ALWAYS HEARD THAT THE HOOKS RUST OUT IN THREE DAYS
    ANYONE KNOW IF THAT IS TRUE OR NOT??:eek:oooh:

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I change my line twice a year....whether it needs it or not. I keep my rods & reels in the garage out of the sun and weather. Nothing is more important than the condition of your lines...except maybe the condition of your drag system....JMO:big_smile:

7. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    how often should you change braid line? I don't wanna keep shellin out $$$$ for braid all the time so how often should I change my braid?

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I"ve used braid only one time, and then I changed it one time. I put my mono back on....LOL. I dont know how often it might need changing!:big_smile:

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    While 3 years is a little exessive I usually just change mine once per year, however that being said I usually dont catch bigguns that stress out my line as bad either.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I follow a motto. "Catch a fish -cut off some line". I slide the line between my fingers and if I feel anything wrong I cut off line. When my line capacity is low I re spool. At least twice per year. This has worked great for me and have had little breakoffs.

11. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I also fish with a buddy .That dont ever change his line.
    I ve seen him lose fish .That probally would go over 47 #.
    I say that because .We have both caught an released a 43 an46# cat back to our spot.He would get them to the bank then break his line.
    Do you ever change your line? 3 years ago.Maybe next year!He uses 40 # big game.And keeps them in the back of truck also.

12. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Do a test. Drop a hook in a glass of water and see how long it takes to dissolve. Help it out some and add some salt and scratch off any protective coating on the hook.

13. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I would say there is no set time to change any line, braid or mono. To me, it depends on how much I fish and the conditions I'm fishing. I changed my mono at least once a month this past year. Braid I have keep on all season on all but one reel. It saw a lot of use around rocks and such so I changed it out when I thought it was getting worn down.

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    equipment cost to much just to leave in back of the truck

15. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    wow,depends on where i fish and how much i have been out,it might get changed every couple of months,or every month.now,i don't catch nothing big pretty much none of the year,but i do get into a lot of rocks that tear up my line.i like to keep it fresh in case i do get into a big one.

i think it would take longer for a hook to rust out instead of just a couple of days,unless the stomach acids helped it out.more like a couple of weeks or so i would say,at leasyt until it was rusted enough to break and fall out.now stainless,on the other hand,won't rust out,and should never be used.

16. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i must be a cheap B$#@$##D then, i have some channel outfits that have 3 year old line on them!:eek:oooh: all depends on how the line looks and feels to me. never had a break off or line snap due to "old line" either, its usually a fray or a bad spot and i usually find them before i bait up by casting out as far as i can and ispect the line as i reel it in between two fingers. longest i go on my flathead reels is 2 years, but i never keep them in a car trunk or truck bed and keep out of the sun. i tend to break off a lot of line so its usually at least every year for them.

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The older the line the more finesse. I change mine out when it is to low to cast. If I have line on for a year or more I transfer it to another reel and have brand new line that has never seen daylight as it's been covered and protected. Being frugal is not being cheap.
    My reels will get brand spanking new line if I am going on a special trip to big cat waters, but then I only get to do that every couple of years, lol :big_smile:

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

Hooks don't "rust out". I caught this channel back in October, this hook was EMBEDDED in its body cavity.
    You can plainly see the "sore" or irritation point that this hook caused as the fish tried to pass it.
    Doesn't look rusted to me. How many of you would like to have that hook hanging out your a..?

Attached Files:

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Is that a carp bro?:smile2:??? rollo

They eat everything even hotdogs!!! Lmao!

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i change my line 'MONO" 3 times a year on my flathead reels.

channels reels I will let it go for awhile longer.

I fish in the daytime alot, and the bright sun does a number on my line.

I buy line in bulk spools so it only cost a couple bucks to fill a 6500 reel with new big game.

when I have a big flathead on my line the last thing i want to worry about is the condition of my line.

I fish alot of gravel bottom which also wekens my line with small nicks.

I will also change my line after any big fish, 30-lbs and up, I just dont want to leave anything for chance.

I would rather tackle a trophy flathed with new 17-lb test big game line, than tackle a trophy with 50-lb big game that was old and needed changed.