some new gear and ideas??????

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by ksgoosekillr, Jan 13, 2010.

1. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    THis warm weather has put my catfish thinkin mind in high gear!.... plus i just received a package today in the mail from cabels!. how many of you guys own the berkely tec 100lb scales? I just got mine today in with a stockpile of sickle hooks, and i am impressed, hopefully it works as good as it looks. The double hand and dual screen will come in hand when im wrestling with those big blues here in a month. NOw for some input. How do you guys store your sinkers? I make a ton of them and have yet to find a box that i havent destroyed. Last yr we switched to the rubber made jars and they held for about half the season but im rough on gear and most have cracked or exploded do to the weight and being tossed around. I like to seperate my sinkers by size. I have those binders to store premade rigs, which come in handy for tournaments. But i saw a new product this year (maybe not NEW but new for me), plano has come out with a camera type case that is made of hard plastic and various sizes, and seem to been sturdy and reinforced in all the right places, (their pricey) but if the last for a while well worth it. I am goign to get a bunch and make each one size specific to the hook or weights that go in and then put those in my soft side. they are all waterproof as well.... last season everything ended up in a bucket on the boat and then it rained and pretty much rusted the **** out of all my gear... How do you guys store your bulk weights/hooks?

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I love my scale so far it is right on the dot as far as the weights I have tested. I'm in the same boat as you with the sinkers. The only thing that saved me is I had a ton of the 3700 Plano boxes from when I bass fished. Soif one get tore up I have several back ups. I think that you will like the scale a lot, plus it nice to have the case with it, my other scale did not have one and it was a pain to take with me.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Plastic coffee cans for the sinkers, zippered binder type bag for my pre-made leader/hooks.

4. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    That is about the strongest way to go with the coffee cans, but i carry a ton of different assormtent of sinkers when i fish, becasue i like to change spots, tactics often to locate the active fish, so i like to have them assorted... right now there all in a bucket, and last yr i just got pissed and emptied the bucked on the deck of my boat to find what i wanted at the time.... still finding hooks/sinkers from that

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use the old metal ammo oxes for sinkers. They are water proof, have a handle, and tough. You can find them at flea markets. They also come in different sizes.

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Best boxes ever made..

7. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Mickey's idea about using ammo boxes is really great. Thanks Mickey; I think I just found my new weight boxes.:laugh1:

8. KsPete

KsPete New Member

State:
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    Ammo boxes sound like a great idea! I bet they would a lot of lead.

9. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I like those little metal like those big popcorntins..But i got little ones from walgreens for $1 and they work jusst fine..I have my leaders tied up and hooks snelled on in a Basspro finesse binder with the little ziplock type bags in them and i put a bead and a sinker and my leader hook swivel combo in the bag..

10. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I second that. See them at Garage sales all the time. Any time there only marked a few bucks I just pick 'em up. Found some interesting stuff inside some of them too!

11. Dutch

Dutch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I agree with the ammo box, I was curious on what a full box of 50 cal weighed and found this on the net:

100 rounds in ammo can: 35 lb (i lugged a few of them in my army days) So I think it would be a good choice for a sinker box.

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good idea Mick on the ammo can. I happen to have a few sittin around. I got a good shimano plasic box with dividers i use for hooks, sinkers and snelled rigs. I have mt snelled stuff rolled up in little zip lock bags and labeled with a sharpie. reps to ya mick, good idea.

13. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i dont know how my stuff is. my fishin caddy takes care of all that and just hands me what i want. :act-up::glasses-cool: