Some more Manitoba Catfish

Discussion in 'CANADIAN CATFISH' started by Canadiancatman, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Well I finally found a spare minute to get these pics up things were starting to heat up just before the full moon. The cats were feeding heavily on goldeyes and mooneyes near the surface. It's really a sight to see 20+ lb channels busting baitfish on the surface in fast current they are truly powerfull beasts!! :cool2: I recently blew up the bigger better of my baitcasters nothing special a Marado evolution with a clicker so For fun until I pick out a new reel I went back to my original reel and rod a 6.6ft berkley gorilla stick That I've caught hundreds of cats over 34" with. I've been using a 10.5ft abu garcia northstar rod for the past few years so switching back to the smaller set up has been a blast definatly less room for error!! Anyways here are some pics from the past few days.

here's a skinny 36"
    [​IMG]
    The mosquito's are crazy up here especially right around dark when the cats really get going I'm wearing my sweater sweating my boys off to try to keep them off me because i don't like to use repellent when I'm fishing.

This is a 35"
    [​IMG]

A chunky 36" All these fish fought like champs!!
    [​IMG]

And a 35.50" To end the night not bad for a couple of hours would have stayed longer but i had to be up at 6 am for work.
    [​IMG]

Went out for a bit the next day too. Here's a nice 36" to start off with.
    [​IMG]
    Another 36" ....Still looking for the real big ones this year.
    [​IMG]
    And a nice 35".
    [​IMG]
    Last one of the day quality 34" Hopefully the real hogs will start biting soon.
    [​IMG]

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thanx for makein me sick. LOL! Them are some bad arse channels. Thanx for sharein!!!!! :cool2:

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :eek:oooh: WOW! If channels grew that big around here I'd go NUTS!!!! Nice stuff buddy, keep 'em coming!!!! holy molely!:big_smile: I LIKE that!!!

4. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Man Id love to hook into a channel that big! Thanks for sharing!

5. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Thanks brothers!! George I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you toss your lunch :wink: Hey Bill and CL and all the brothers and sisters come up this way and tie into some of these brutes these are average size around here when you target them with cutbait and you could get your limit of 4 eaters under 24's in about 10 mins using worms. I just wish we had the massive blues and flatties you all got down south!!! Those are MONSTERS!!! :cool2:

6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey Shane,
    I used to go to Winnipeg a couple times a year until i changed jobs two yrs ago. :cool2: I always wanted to go on the red river and catch those monster channels but never got the chance. It was always 20 below when i was in town.
    Good luck to you and keep on posting.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  7. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I havent been to canada since 2005. I'll have to give it a go when the kids get alittle older. Until then keep them pics coming!LOL!

8. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Lyndsay quite a few big channels get caught through the ice in the winter around here. :big_smile: CL I promise I'll keep them coming? Glad you all like them and thank you again for all the kind replies! :cool2:

9. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Dang! Those are some nice channels, don't see them like that around here. Congrats on the catch and keep the pics coming.

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Awesome. That is a dream trip for me. One of these days.

11. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C

Exactly. Those fish look like dream fish!:big_smile: Or something that would fit well into the scene from The Phantom Menace where they are underwater
    en route to the Naboo city.

12. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Thanks guys! :cool2:

13. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What river do you fish up there, Shane? Are there any catfish guides up there? SWEET channels, man!

14. scrappy

scrappy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Them are sum brutes,bet that was a blast

15. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Thanks Brothers!! Mike I mostly fish the assiniboine river and the red river by lockport. The red is just crazy for numbers and size of channel cats strict slot limits and a 4 fish possesion limit which includes cats in the freezer at home as well as manditory barbless hooks ensure that every cat over 24" has to go back and the cats I catch are the proof that the system grows big cats!! :big_smile: there are quite a few guides up here that could take you out and treat you great!! But the Red is not hard to fish if a guy wanted to haul his boat up here or even fish from shore let me know and i could point you in the right direction save you a lot of coin!! If a guided trip is what you want though there is some awesome guides around here!! :cool2:

16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Shane......Thanks for posting the reports and pics. Them are awesome channels:wink: Reps brother:wink:

17. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Thanks Robb!! I sure appreciate all the nice comments and the reps I'm still trying to figure out how they all work starting to get the hang of it. :big_smile:

18. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Awesome channels!!!

Thank you for sharing the pic's

19. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Awseome post!!! Thanks for sharing. We could have fish like those in all states if we have better management and enforcement of current regulations.

So you measure all your fish by length? Definitely a "northern" thing:smile2: Do you have any weights to accompany your great catches?

20. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Thanks Rick! :big_smile: I've put a few cats on a scale inside a landing net and the ones with the big bellies are heavy! I would have loved to get a weight on this one my biggest that I have a pic of it was 39.5" and I don't think to many people would argue that it's at least 30lbs if not more.
    [​IMG]

I need to find a good scale and a weigh sling I'd rather get the big girls back unharmed and wonder how much they weighed then hurt them for my own satisfaction. Catch and release works up here!! :cool2: Very few people that catch catfish actually keep and eat any. These cats have access to a fairly big lake (lake winnipeg) that is absolutly loaded all kinds of protien rich baitfish they can go out there and basically just eat and never see a fishermans hook until they head back into the river.